Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

compressor outside

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Feb 20, 2004.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i want to put my compressor outside the shop under an overhang b/c its LOUD. will there be any problem just running some pvc across the cieling with T's and nipples attatched to it. A firend suggested doing the same with regular compressor hose. i didnt like that idea. i think it will hold the pressure. my compressor is a craftsman 30 gal 150 psi max.

thanks

69k5

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Good lord, don't use PVC.

Black Iron Pipe (gas pipe) is the stuff you need. Have it cut to the lengths you want, threaded, and then just assemble the stuff with pipe-thread tape...works perfectly.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Ill take your response to mean its dangerous. thats why i asked. i can use the other. I even have a pipe threader for some reason. the pvc said 300 psi on the side and was cheap is why i considered it.

69k5

4. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

My buddy owns a repair shop and uses PVC pipe for his air lines. I don't believe he has had any problems. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good lord, don't use PVC.

Black Iron Pipe (gas pipe) is the stuff you need. Have it cut to the lengths you want, threaded, and then just assemble the stuff with pipe-thread tape...works perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

JEEZE talk about over kill /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

have you ever know or see a PVC system fail /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

i have my system run with 1/2" pvc and have had it prossurized for over to years now, and not one problem. it's not like it's full of propane and will expode with an earth shatering exploion.

I say yes or for it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Out of curiousity, wouldn't gas pipe rust because of the condensed water?

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Alright, to be honest with you, I've never seen a system setup with PVC...which is why my initial response was to think "NO WAY."

In the shops I've been in, the shops I've worked in, and even at my house, I've only seen Black Iron Pipe used. I do everthing overkill, and that's what I'll use when I plumb my system at my future house. I guess PVC will work fine, just seems a little cheesy in my opinion.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Curiosity got the best of me, so I did a little searching. Here's what I found so far (I'll add more later if I find it disproves this, or adds to it):

[ QUOTE ]
    Use carbon steel pipe as discharge pipe material. Never use PVC or ABS. (PVC is easy to work with, but will not allow the hot air to cool quickly enough to condense the water in the compressed air. Also, in case of a compressor regulator failure, if the PSI inside the line were to go above the rated safety capacity, the plastic pipe won't just split, but will actually explode, producing razor-sharp projectiles which are sure to damage property and person.) Consider using Schedule 40 black iron, galvanized, copper, stainless steel, or anodized aluminum. Size the pipe for maximum CFM required. This will equal full load production plus future expansion plans. (See chart below)

[/ QUOTE ]

Above quote taken from http://www.oldsmobility.com/air-compressor-piping.htm

Edit: Here's some more good reading on the subject...also talks about the idea of using copper pipe /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif: LINK

Edit, again: Taken from the link directly above this:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ah, the eternal PVC versus metal pipe debate. First of all, all PVC pipe manufacturers insist that their product not be used for compressed gasses. However, there is plastic pipe rated for compressed gas service in harsh (corrosive) environments. The price is much more that the most expensive metallic piping system.
    The reason that PVC pipe is not to be used for compressed gasses is its tendency to fail explosively (high speed flying debris that can and has killed). That being said, black steel is used as it is cheapest of metallics. Its drawbacks are the fact that it corrodes on the inside. This scale ends up in your point of use filters or the finish of that project you have been working on. Copper (thick wall best choice) is the next in cost, and in my opinion the best choice, as it is easy to work with if you know how to sweat copper joints. Brazing or silver soldering for very high pressures. Most any threaded adaptors can be had and installed easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

That pretty much sums up what I was thinking. (This is just someone elses opinon, however. I'm not saying this person is or isn't an expert on the subject. Take it for what it's worth.)

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I am a professional sandblaster and deal with compressed air on a regular basis. For the exact reasons stated above I would never use any kind of plastic pipe for my air lines. I have had my regulator fail and with a compressor pumping out 125CFM the pressure jumps from 100psi to 225psi very fast (my pop off valve goes at 225psi). All of my fixed air lines are black iron. One thing I do suggest when putting your compressor outside is to connect it to your inside pipe with a rubber line. I didn't catch where you live but if the ground freezes there it will lift your compressor but not your building. Also just the compressor vibration could be bad for the fittings since you can't bolt it down. We use 3/4" jackhammer hose to connect our compressor to our buildings air supply. Another thing we did was sink a couple big air tanks in the ground (about 400gal of air storage 5' under ground). The temperature under ground is a constant 50 degrees and when the air goes down there the water condenses and stays in those tanks while nice dry air comes out the top into my sandblaster. We have a bleed valve we open to empty the water out of the trap tanks. This type of system has been used by our company for close to 80 years and we never have a problem with rust inside the pipes.

10. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is how we have your shop set up. (with PVC) and is has been like that for 5-10 years now with noproblem yet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Ive always used copper pipe with sweated joints when plumbing compressed air......

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally wouldn't go through the trouble of plumbing anything for a compressor that small. I'd just run an electrical cord outside and run rubber hose into the garage.

If it was a 60+ gallon 220v unit it'd be one thing, but for that little compressor, just put it outside.

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am a professional sandblaster and deal with compressed air on a regular basis. For the exact reasons stated above I would never use any kind of plastic pipe for my air lines. I have had my regulator fail and with a compressor pumping out 125CFM the pressure jumps from 100psi to 225psi very fast (my pop off valve goes at 225psi). All of my fixed air lines are black iron. One thing I do suggest when putting your compressor outside is to connect it to your inside pipe with a rubber line. I didn't catch where you live but if the ground freezes there it will lift your compressor but not your building. Also just the compressor vibration could be bad for the fittings since you can't bolt it down. We use 3/4" jackhammer hose to connect our compressor to our buildings air supply. Another thing we did was sink a couple big air tanks in the ground (about 400gal of air storage 5' under ground). The temperature under ground is a constant 50 degrees and when the air goes down there the water condenses and stays in those tanks while nice dry air comes out the top into my sandblaster. We have a bleed valve we open to empty the water out of the trap tanks. This type of system has been used by our company for close to 80 years and we never have a problem with rust inside the pipes.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wish i had that kind of equipment.

i dont know which ill run yet. ill see what i can get. i have no problem with overkill , and crap usually happens to me anyway.

i didnt want to run a runn==bber hose across the cieling. i just wanted to move around my shop and connect my air hose at the cieling so it wasnt always laying around in the floor.

i will definatleyconnect to the pipe with a rubber hose. i hadnt thought about the joints just decided i would before hand.

so what size should i use. would more volume be better? i doubt it "on a compressor that small" and i was so proud of it too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks

69k5

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i forgot to say im in louisiana and ground temp will not be a problem.

15. bigyellowjimmy

I think 1/2" should be fine......dont worry Im down to a borrowed nail gun compressor for now! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

its better than nothing which is what i had till christmas /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. bigyellowjimmy

yes, having no compressed air should be a crime!

18. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i just bought a role of copper tube and some little preasure fittings...... that was very easy to run and dosent leak.... o yea and very cheep....02

19. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

plumb it in with black pipe or copper. DO NOT USE PVC OR ABS PIpe. i myself have seen a pvc and abs explode. we were digging peices of plastic out of the garage sheet rock and it even had a few that stuck it the 2x4 rafters. know one got hurt but i wouldn,t use plastic

20. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i just bought a role of copper tube and some little preasure fittings...... that was very easy to run and dosent leak.... o yea and very cheep....02

[/ QUOTE ]

HMMMMM!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sounds like a winner no exploding (thtas good b/c im accident prone) and cheap even.

thanks

69k5