Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Compressor Sizing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bruiser, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

What size of compressor do you guys have and do you find it sufficient. I don't have a lot of cash to buy a huge one. What can I get buy with and do most things. (orbital sander,impact wrench, paint gun, etc.) Thanks

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's the orbital sander and die grinders that will get ya. Running either of those is roughly equivalent to cutting the end off of the air hose. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Stay away from the "oil less" compressors. They are loud as hell and don't tend to last nearly as long as a good oiled compressor. You can easily spot the oil less design because they have the compressor connected directly to the motor. The oiled type have the two separated and they connect via a v-belt.

I've got a 5-HP, twin cylinder compressor. It could keep up with me fairly well at sea level, but here at 7,000 feet I can outrun it pretty easily with a cutoff wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Compressors suffer the same fate as engines as altitude increases. Lower ambient air pressure means less efficient cylinder filling. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif