Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

compressor tech: How to not light your new to you, FREE compressor on fire!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by masterbeavis, Jul 28, 2005.

1. masterbeavis

masterbeavis Registered Member

This little gem right here.

[​IMG]

It has been sitting long enough to be not good for it. I was trying to start it with ether first, ran out, so switched to brake cleaner. I had one little small backfire and WOOSH, lit the carb and gas tank on fire. Lucky me I didnt have the gas cap on either.... :eek: I blew on it 3 times like a birthday candle before I figured out it needed something else.. Lucky the elec pressure washer was on, put it out with that....

Moral of the story is... Dont use ether to start motors, put the gas cap on the tank, have something ready to put out the fire!! :bounce:

2. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

i found an old electric compressor about the same size as that in a barn, it ran great for a while then siezed right up mid-use. I banged the crap out of it with a BFH and a chunk of wood, got it loose, put some nasty 10w30 i had from my truck in it, worked ever since. its a trooper!

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have that exact same compressor. I dont use it much because I have an electric one in my shop. But it runs great and pushes a lot of air.
    Prolly will need to clean out the tank and pull the carb off and spray some carb cleaner thru it. Clean out the screens on the pick up tubes. ECT ECT.
    Its a good compressor and worth fixing.

4. masterbeavis

masterbeavis Registered Member

Tore down the carb tonight. Will get a new diaphram and misc. other small carb parts. It wants to run.......