Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer based Scan Tools revisited

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 31, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My teachers were going over the different scan tools we have in our shop. We have a lot of Genisys units, a few Modis units(snap on scan tools), and 4 PC based units. My teacher noted that he found the limitations of the MODIS last night. It won't access the BCM on any of our cars(have to spend another couple grand for that option apparently). So our $11,000 scan tool won't do it.

We apparently have 4 computer based scan tools in my shop at Wyotech. I wanted to try them out to see how they were. So the teachers tell me go ahead. Turns out they weren't hooked up to the PCs, they were hiding in the teachers office. So he goes and gets it and we hook it up. IT IS THE EXACT UNIT I WANT! So I'm getting to play with it before I buy. www.obdII.com its the same one sold there. We start playing and my teacher sees that the computer unit can access the BCM on the exact car he wanted to do it with the Modis on! So far the Ease PC setup is kicking ass. i just need a laptop to go with it and I will get one.

Oh if you don't know, a BCM is the computer that controls things like the seat position, door locks, A/C, etc. Body Control Module.

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I like the Ease the best myself. The Tech2 is trick like that too, itcan also do all that stuff, PCM, ECM, BCM, lock/unlock the doors, roll the windows up/down, turn the lights on/off, program key fobs, ect, but its basically GM specific.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah my one teacher constantly talks about teh tech 2. Being a non-specific seutp, we only have the MODIS, Genisys and Ease. I think I'm definetally buying myself an Ease setup for my toolbox.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Havent used the MODIS or genisys (never heard of it either, lol), but I do love the Ease. I bought a pocket PC specifically gor their software.