Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer Chip?? Can someone recommend one.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crazyhorse, Oct 10, 2002.

1. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Newbie

My truck runs Slugish and someone recommened to get a chip in it but I can't find out who makes one. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    Can anyone Help

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Computer Chip?? Can someone recommend one. (Running Rich)

Whoever told you that is well, lets just say not very educated on the subject matter.

You've gotta figure out WHY its running rich. Are you throwing codes? Have you had someone hook a scanner (or winALDL : ) up to it?

Resist the temptation to blame the computer, or let anyone else blame the computer, because they don't understand it.

These systems have a diagnostic port for a reason, use it.

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Your profile says 'Flowmaster Exhaust' --- has the whole exhaust been upgraded? If you have an exhaust leak before the O2 sensor(s), the computer will think it's running lean and richen it way up.

I agree with Dorian, find out why it's running rich before you put in a performance chip. Most likely, it will still run rich after the chip --- unless you have more mod's than your profile lists (like a cam or something)?

Thomas.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Do what these guys said first, but www.jetchip.com makes 2, a stage one or a stage 2. I got the powerpack which has a filter, thermostat, and chip. also hypertech makes one i think. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'm running one of thesefastchip.com
    It works good for me.
    But a chip wont help if there is something else wrong.Everything else in the system has to be working properly. Also a good exhaust and low restriction intake system (K&N) will help you get the most out of the chip.
    What kind of gears are you running. if you have anything less than 3.40s. You might not have enough gear to turn your tires, making your rig feel sluggish

6. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

I'd agree with all the previous responses -- get it running right first.
    I've got a Hypertech stage two. It makes a difference but it's important to get the right chip. After two different trys, I finally sent them my stock chip and they sent a custom-burned chip to match my stock part-throttle settings (free). After that it's been running great.
    smack