Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer Chip for More Power

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JAllen, Nov 11, 2000.

1. JAllen

JAllen Registered Member

I have a 91 Blazer and I've been told by several people that I can have an after-market computer chip installed that will increase the power in my 350 engine by up to 20%. Does any of you guys know anything about this? Whether its true or not? I just don't have much experience with the newer computer controlled ignition and fuel injection systems.

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I would not do it. I'm guessing that your gas mileage is in te teens now. After the chip you will be in the single digits. What that computer chip does is confuses the engine into holding out gears longer and changing the timing a little. What this results in is more power and better acceleration, but at the expense of engine wear and tranny wear. Your drivetrain will suffer tremendously by this. I was considering putting one in my 96 Z34 Monte Carlo because it is electronically limited at 110 and I wanted to go faster. I read an article from Click and Clack(the Car Talk guys) and they said that it would be the worst thing that could happen to an engine. Needless to say, I do not have a chip in my car.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

3. JAllen

JAllen Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. Think I'll forgo installing one.

4. A chip won't affect the shift points on a 91 blazer.The draw back to the chip is tha you have to use 91 or beter octane.It will give you a little more power but you would be beter off puting on a high flow muffler and tail pipe.
    Maybe get a tbi spacer and a higher flow air filter.But the chip won't hert anything,well maybe your wallet!LOL Every thing I was describing will also help fuel economy.Just my $.02 good luck.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

There are 2 typs of chips you can install: A street type chip which just gives more power under hard and full acceration and changes trans lockup and shift points with little or no effect on gas mileage or emmissions.
    Or a compettion type chip which requires a 160 degree thermostat and gives more power throughout the throttle range and is not smog legal in many states. it will also change fuel consumption.
    As with any performance product the gains in power are relative to other modifications you do to your vehicle.Chips work best with headers, high performance exaust. And less restrictive air intake system than stock.
    I'm running a stage 1 chip that I got from these guys:
    http://www.fastchip.com (check out their FAQ page)
    I am very satisfied with it and my K5 gets 18 mpg at 60 mph.
    Stock 350 with headers, flowmaster, K&N filter, ect

6. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I looked into changing the chip in my '89, but the requirement for 91+ octane stopped me in my tracks. I think the money can be better spent elsewhere.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

7. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status