Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer chip....worth the money????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 91 Gmc 2500 4x4 and it seems a bit slugish.
    A couple of my more mechanically inclined frieds felt that i had a major restriction in the exhust so I just put dual exuast from headers back with with 2 flow masters on her and still seems to be the same.(needed to be anyways way to quiet) So now I am thinking of getting the thermo hypertech chip. Need some opinions from people who have done this and if this is a worhty mod or not. I do use this for my landscape business and am pulling a trailer alot!!! Also how did your gas milage change with this chip....better or worse.

Thanks all in advance!!!!

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What kind of motor does it have? Have you done the standard tune up stuff? A guy I work with put a power programmer on his 03 GMC with a 4.8L. Seemed to help a lot. Nice firm shifts now. "Seat of the pants" power is more noticable. No top end limiter either.

Kris

3. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

oops...its a 350, 60,000 miles on her, and reg tune up schedualed for this weekwnd...plugs, wires and cap.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Power programmer doesn't work on his '91....

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my 95 is the same way, sluggish as they get. Does yours have a 4l80e? ANd what gaer ratio? I'm running y pipe to cat and then flowmaster 40. Without the cat it was quite loud and good sounding but no increase in go. I think one of my injectors is going bad so I don't know. Haven't heard great things about chips. Power Programmer is not an option at all on TBIs.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

But a chip does essentially the same thing.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not really. On the vehicles that can use power programmers there is more adjustability and more hidden power. All chips do on TBIs is maybe fool the computer into throwing a bit more fuel at it and advance the timing. In the end you have to run higher octane gas and you get a small increase. Premium fuel is $1.95 a gallon here right now so forget a chip for me. Then again I'm selling my 95 and goign back to my K5 which has 9.3:1 compression and I shoudl run on premium most of the time.