Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

computer chip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by downtime2nite, May 29, 2002.

1. downtime2nite

downtime2nite Registered Member

rebuilding a 187,000 mile 5.7 with tbi, using comp cam, roller rockers and lifters, cast iron vortec heads and headers, anyone have any suggestions for a performance chip maker or type? any ideas welcomed, thanx

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i think jet can burn chips for you, you just have to give them all the specs. check with summit

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

IMO the "pre-made" chips are not worth the cost. Get one burned for your motor, you've got enough mods to make it worthwhile more than likely...all the car chips I've seen do almost nothing, *maybe* a 1/10th in the 1/4 mile, which isn't much when you are starting with a 16 second car. I only use the car/ 1/4 mile comparison because its measurable, and they "chips" have been pretty consistently found to do almost nothing. I believe all most or all of them do is slightly change the timing and perhaps A/F at some throttle positions. Obviously not enough to make much of a difference.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

www.fastchips.com (Ed Wright) burns custom chips based on your combo - another good option is to get into burning them yourself............ www.thirdgen.org has a PROM burning forum that has incredible amounts of helpful info and people. Costs about $250ish to get into it............then you can tweak and tune any parameter you want. This is what I'm doing when I get around to it.

5. downtime2nite

downtime2nite Registered Member

thank you for the suggestions, I do believe I'm going to burn a chip for the suburban to maximize the power! probably the fastchip. thankx again.