Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer Controlled Distributor or Not

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WRENCH-HEAD, Mar 29, 2006.

1. WRENCH-HEAD

WRENCH-HEAD 1/2 ton status

I installed a Holley commander 950 tbi kit and I wanted opinions on whether or not I should let it control the distributor. I currently have a Pertronix Flamethrower HEI distributor and I was curious if it was worth it to find a HEI with the 4 wire plug that the holley can directly plug to. I could use the Pertronix coil, but not the module if I did this route. All opinions wanted. TIA

-ALEX

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I got a computer distributor I'd sell ya if you wanted the best setup possible . Its a unit with no advance at all , no mechanical , no vacuum . Just a regular looking coil in cap with a 4 pin weatherpack connector .

Don't know where it came from it was on the 283 in the Chevelle when I pulled it :thumb:

Anyway , the advantages of the computer controlling it all are the fact that you don't have to worry about the advance curve . The computer would do it on the fly alot better than a mechanical setup would .

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

You trust the Holley computer to control your engine's fuel delivery, but aren't sure if you can trust the same computer to control the same engine's spark advance/timing. Is that pretty much the situation?

4. WRENCH-HEAD

WRENCH-HEAD 1/2 ton status

Not a trust issue, just a matter of if I will gain anything. I'm not looking for every last drop of power, just drivability and running quality. I like the simplicity of the one-wire HEI and if anything goes south on it I can go to any parts store and find parts for it. Just curious if it was worthwhile to have the holley control the timing for efficiency. I know when retrofitting factory tbi you have to use one, but if it was optional what would you choose?

-ALEX

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

They are stil one wire HEI . And will run without the computer plugged in , albeit crappily with no advance , but it will run without the computer .

I know , I drove mine mine home :thumb:

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd say its well worth it. You can get that timing setup to suit your engine best, not work with every engine out there generally :)

If your engine likes lots of timing right outta the hole, and backed off later on, it can be done :)

Not only that, but you can run more timing all across the board with the ECM running as much as it can before it starts to produce detonation, then backing it off.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I say there isn't a point to running EFI if you don't have a distributor controlled by the ECM as well. ECM can only do so much with fuel.