Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer crap.... Mac OS X = dumb... rants of a net admin

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ddragggon, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

ok, so we hve a VP who loves to buy new things, wether we can use them or not, and the newest thing is mac OS X... he loves how it works on his brand spanking new computer, and thinks that everyone should use it... .just one problem: most the computers here are 1998 vintage +/- a year or 2, making them basicaly too damn slow to run it. I'm trying to set a pair of old 266 Mhz laptops up with it to prove my point, but have thus far failed in getting one of them to setup properly, and the other to stop downloading updates.... every time I start it, since I finaly got the stupid bastard OS on it, its gone online, and said ` LOOKEY I NEED THIS UPDATE TO LIVE!' and asked my permission to DL it... problem is, DL takes 20 seconds, install takes 35 seconds, `optimizing the system' takes 20 minutes, rebooting takes 5 minutes... so, its taken me the better part of 6 hours to get to the point I;m at now... still downloading updates. GAH.

the other problem is there's a good chance that seeing how slow this is, they'll decide to buy new computers.... not really a bad thing: as I said, most of this stuff is 3 years old, and therefore technicaly useless ( even moreso cause it be macs) it'll be a bad thing because for the price of mid line macintohs computers, I coudl build top of the line athlon systems that could rip the crap out of the stupid macs, and each computer would come with a suite of software, including Autocad: newest version for the engineers, MS office, and 1 or 2 other programs they use....

oh well,

-Rich

2. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

word.

nobody understands the pain of the IT guy.

apple is cool, i think their stuff looks and works well, it's just that most office stuff is PC oriented.

keep it real, and don't let the man get you down.

greg

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain... Tell the boss to bite me and get some PC's... Been many years since Ive used a "fast" mac but rumour has it they can be fairly fast.

NOT that Id consider buying one.. athlon is an awesome processor, I built a xp1700+ for windows2K a couple months ago, its been bulletproof and rock solid.. Never thought Id say anything good about a windows product.. I was a diehard freebsd user before that (and still am) .... I dunno what you guys do at your place of work but if you go unix, youll never go back. total system redundancy and a complete operating system based on a text command line is a thing of beauty.. thats just the tip of the iceberg.. Im telling you, unix above all others. and X windows is great too..... if you're into networking or running any sort of server/router/firewall, unix is where its at

mike