Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer Geeks check in...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Feb 13, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've got 2 HDDs going right now. 2 40GB units. One 8MB cache, one not, both 7200RPM units. The second HDD(basically only used for misc file storage and music storage) is noisy as well as being the slower of the two units.

So anyway, I'm looking to replace both of these with a single 200 or 250GB drive. Would make DVD copying nicer, not having to constantly worry about space(not that I will be copying anymore since the Upconvert DVD player for the Plasma tv doesn't upconvert compressed movies). I want to upgrade the PC but this seems to be the the first upgrade I should make. of course I could get two 100GBs and do a RAID setup, but there is a question here..

What Hard Drive companies are your favorites? What is it you run and do you like it? I have had a lot of different drives over the years and liked and disliked a few of them. But my mind has slipped as to what was what and what I liked or disliked :doah: I know I had one die on me, I think that was a Maxtor or a Seagate. One of the drives I have now is a Seagate and another is a Western Digital. I think the Seagate is the loud one...

2. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

stay away from maxtor. seagate or WD are both reliable enough (as reliable as the only moving parts in a computer can be, cept fans)

Raid will be mostly useless to you unless you do raid1, which will offer slight performance enhancments, but no redundency. raid0 is just a mirror of 2 drives, but you only get the final space of one.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think you have that backwards. Raid 0 splits data across drives and is faster, Raid 1 mirrors drives....

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You know, I hear a lot of bad stuff about Maxtor, but I've ran about 4 different hard drives from them and never really have had a problem.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I remember having a 13 something GB Maxtor I loved. But I think it did eventually die on me, or I outgrew it, don't know.

6. Resurrection_Joe

I've been running a 160GB Mactor for about.... 9 months? Reports perfect on speedfan.

I do with I would have went SATA though

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

can someone explain SATA to me? Just a new transfer means? Faster than IDE?

8. Resurrection_Joe

I don't understand it completely, but it's rated at 150, which is uh, faster that 133. It frees up your IDE too. Hah, I feel stupid, I'mma go look it up.

9. Resurrection_Joe

10. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Seagate. I have backed up IMPORTANT data to WD hdd's twice and they both failed. I haven't had a seagate fail on me yet. Plus they have a 5 yr warranty rather then 3, and can extract your data for you if you HD fails.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think WD's or Maxtor's have a 5 year warranty, too now.

I would say Maxtor. They had a bad rap years ago, but I htink their quality has improved a lot. Be glad IBM is not an option, I replaced more ibm deskStar's (affectionately known as DeathStar's) than I can count.

I've often found Seagate's to be kind of noisy. Who makes Fireball's? I have one in a desktop at work that whines like a beotch and has for at least 2 years...

In the end, all manufacturer's will have had failures that make someone swear by or against them. I've had failures with just about every manufacturer out there, Maxtor currently being the drive I buy most often and replace least frequently. My purchasing criteria has changed to price, and I back up often... I've also had Quantums, WD's, Seagate's, Maxtor's etc running for years (24/7 spinning).

I just got a 250gb Maxtor sata drive as a disk backup destination for some servers at work. So far it's pretty sweet, super-fast.
    You can buy an add-on pci sata controller and go with sata if your MB doesn't support it yet. The drive I just got was around $100 from CDW, but I had controllers on board, so I don't know what a controller costs.

The first machine I ran with a sata drive as the system drive, I thought something was wrong... The system was WAY too fast!

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my present board and anyone I go to will have SATA controls. Have to look into it. I think I saw a note of SATA and overclocking issue.

13. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I like seagates, I actually think they are quieter then the WD. I do not like hearing my hard drive seek when coping files or loading. I'm not sure about WD or maxtor, but seagate uses fluid dynamic bearings, and thats cool. To each his own. For me it will always be ASUS, AMD, SEAGATE, Plextor, ANTEC(or thermaltake) and corsair.

edit: forgot NVIDIA by MSI or EVGA

14. CustomChevy

indeed i did have them backwards sled. I always get raid1 and raid0 backwards :(

either way, if you ask me seagate, or hitachi make about the best drives out there, seagates can be noisy, but its better to be slightly annoyed now and again at sound, then pulling hair trying to recover a lost movie collection.

for the person that asked. fireballs were made by quantum (IMHO the greatest HDD maker EVER! ... till maxtor bought them out)

15. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I just put a 250gb WD Sata II HD in my recent PC build. Formatted, I have about 235mb of usable space which is about normal. I cannot hear the HD above the fans, which are actually pretty quiet.:D

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Western Digital all the way....except no substitutes :thumb:

17. Resurrection_Joe

Sooooo, Western Digital, but keep all substitues?

Gwar har har, homonyms.....

18. CustomChevy

Western Digital's latest slogan

Data Reliability ... for upto one year!

19. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

All my drives are Western Digital SATA drives. 2 76gb Raptors in raid 0, 1 36gb Raptor, and one 200gb 7200RPM drive for storage. I've never had any problems with any other brand, basically just went with WD cause of the Raptors. Fast fast fast!! And I just noticed on Newegg that they have a 150gb Raptor now. :saweet: :deal:

Anyways, SATA is faster, and the cables are waaay easier to work with. They're only like 1/4" wide. The only overclocking issues I've heard of with SATA drives are that on some mobo's, locking the PCI and AGP bus speed only locked 1 set of the SATA ports on the mobo. If you had your drives plugged into the ports that were unlocked, you'd get stability issues. I've only heard of this issue with the MSI boards. And I think it's been fixed with a BIOS update.

20. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Stay the hecka way from Fujitsu. I've had 4 of those go out on me this year. (4 because I have an extended warranty and they keep givin me a new one).

I have 2 Western Digitals and a Maxtor, and I've never had problems from either. My Maxtor is a 20g 7200 that is goin on 5 years now, and it holds all my music, never EVER let me down.

Al