Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer geeks/gurus/wanna-be's...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Feb 1, 2007.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Is there any reason why I should stop considering building my own case for my next computer?

I just don't see the need to buy a nice-looking case when it's just gonna be "hidden" in a cabinet in my desk. As I'm seeing it, if I get a PSU, some aluminum sheet and angle, and some hardware, I can fab my own drive bay frame(s), mobo mount, and airflow controls. I really don't care what it looks like, as it'll be behind a solid door in my desk, and therefore out-of-sight. Expandability would be great with this - within the size limits of the desk cabinet, I can make this case even bigger than a full-size tower.

Input and suggestions are appreciated.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think that cases are too cheap to even consider trying to make one. Lining up the slots and screws properly for the PCI cards would be a bit of a pain. You also have to consider proper cooling and venting so you don't smoke a CPU or graphics card. If you don't want anything fancy you can find a cheap case for $50 or less.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Man, that's alot of work. Lots of precise measuring and drilling required to mount all that stuff. Then you have airflow concerns...seems like a lot of time spent for something that's pretty cheap to buy.

You can get cheap cases for like $15.

$50 buys you a pretty decent quiet one with lots of room for expandability, rubber mounted drives etc...,
    $100+ gets into the bling bling stuff.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

My brother got his "new" case for free. We spray painted it,and added some cooling fan's. Turned out pretty good.

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Make sure there is a good air supply behind that closed door, or your computer will frequently overheat...

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah make sure there is theses guys behind it [​IMG]