Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer geeks - USB question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BurbinOR, Dec 10, 2005.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I've got a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop (Pentium 4 @ 3.05 ghz) - currently have a 4 hub USB port - and now have a total of 9 USB-capable accessories. Currently I plug and unplug as needed but was wondering if there is a better alternative - like another hub or a hub with more capacity. If so, would having all these plugged in create power supply issues with the laptop?

TIA :bow:

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can get a PCMCIA card that will put an extra 4 ports. Other then getting another hub thats your only option. I would recomend getting a powered usb hub though if you have longer then a 6ft cable to the hub then a 6ft to the device. Hope that helps

3. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

what the hell do you have that you need that many USB ports?

The best solution to USB problems with a laptop is the 4 port PCMCIA cards. They are fully powered and do not (generally) suffer the same awful performance as hubs that are not powered.

Theoreticly its possible to chain together 128 USB ports, but remember USB is like a block lift, good idea in theory ... but just not practical.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I take my laptop to work and use it for Video Editing and graphics work there.........I have:

1. Scanner
    2. Wacom tablet
    3. Wireless, USB mouse
    4. External Hard-drive
    5. DVD burner
    6. Printer
    7. Axim x50 PDA cradle
    8. SD,CF card reader

I have two 4 Port, powered, Belkin USB 2 hubs.
    Never a problem, unless the hubs get switched off, then I have to switch 'em back on....................no big deal!

I do plug the HD and DVD burner direct to the computer's USB ports to insure max speed, eliminate buffer problems. None noted before though, just in case!

5. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Hey Don. How come there doesn't seem to be a wireless usb hub? Like a wireless printer router....What's the technical problem there?

6. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

With that many USB items, it sounds like you've effectively turned your expensive laptop back into the reasonably priced desktop it was trying to be more mobile then.

7. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

true.

Also consider changing some of those devices to bluetooth? I'm sure your laptop supports it.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Powered hubs are going to be the only way to supply power for all of those devises. May I suggest you get a cheap desktop on the network.