Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

computer guru's click here.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gotmud?, May 6, 2002.

1. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

computer guru\'s click here.....

every once in a while my puter(DELL 8100) will leave a "foot print" on my screen about 1x2 in the same spot.....only way to get rid of it
    is to reboot, any ideas?
    pentium 4 1.3ghz.
    128mb. rdram
    nvidia g force2 32mb
    internet explorer 6
    windows xp home

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: computer guru\'s click here.....

Up grade the driver for your video card...

3. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

already tried that.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Doesn't Dell have a tec suport line you can call ????

5. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

you must not have much experience dealing with tech. support/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It sounds like it is in the video card...If I remember right those cards come with a fan on it...Turn off the computer and check the card and see if it does.. If it does that fan is probably full of dust...Blow it out...Dan

7. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Is this tech. support?/forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Is it a piece of a program left over, or a discoloration on the screen?

If a discoloration, is it a CRT (big monitor) or an LCD? If it's a CRT, play with the controls and try to degauss it. If you have any magnetic objects near the monitor, move them away.

If it's program data, is it always the same program that causes it? is it always the same image?
    Does the video adapter support the settings you've set for it? Is the adapter being properly identified by the OS (correct card listed as the adapter in display settings)?
    How many programs are open at once? What's the longest amount of time you've left the footprint there?

I dunno if this will help you at all, but here's some XP troubleshooting info:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q307960&amp;LN=EN-US&amp;rnk=2&amp;SD=tech&amp;FR=0&amp;qry=garbled%20display&amp;src=DHCS_MSPSS_tech_SRCH&amp;SPR=WINXP&amp;>http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q307960&amp;LN=EN-US&amp;rnk=2&amp;SD=tech&amp;FR=0&amp;qry=garbled%20display&amp;src=DHCS_MSPSS_tech_SRCH&amp;SPR=WINXP&amp;</a>

9. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

If it's program data,...yes, word and I.E 6..... is it always the same program that causes it?....so far just those 2... is it always the same image? no.......
    Does the video adapter support the settings you've set for it? yes.......Is the adapter being properly identified by the OS (correct card listed as the adapter in display settings)?yes.....
    How many programs are open at once? ....1.....What's the longest amount of time you've left the footprint there?.....couple mins. also device mgr. say's everything is OK.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

How long has it been sence you defragmenteded the drive. I had a similar problem and defragmented the HD and it went away.
    Ghosts in the machine?????

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Run Windows Update and install all patches you find. Is Word part of Office or a standalone version? If it's office, install the <a target="_blank" href=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://download.microsoft.com/download/officexpstandard/sp/oxpsp1/w98nt42kmexp/en-us/oxpsp1.exe>Office XP SP1</a> and see if that helps.

I would also maybe download a new video driver from the card manufacturer, then completely uninstall the current driver, reboot, and manually install the new driver. Even just removing and re-installing the current driver might help.

Go to the video card manu.'s site, and check thier troubleshooting section for your specific card. I had a problem with my all-in-wonder a while back, and found out it was because the card conflicts with the board chipset when running Win2k, there was no workaround or fix for it.

Or maybe run a repair on Word/IE...