Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer gurus - HDD partitions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Sep 26, 2004.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I have salvaged a 6GB drive from a computer my father-in-law gave me. I installed it in my Win98 box (soon to be my file server) and it works fine. It's got Win98 and a bunch of stuff on it, none of which I need. It also is partitioned, approx. 4.5GB and 1.5GB.
    I planned on re-formatting the drive and just using it for storage space, but the partition threw me off a bit, since I've never created or destroyed one. I don't see a need to have a partition for what I'll be using it for, so how do I get rid of it?

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Since this is your first time playing with partitions, before you do the dos boot and fdisk it, unless you have a solid backup and are very confident, you might think about unplugging your good drive for the fdisk session, just to be safe... Nothing like a moment of "Oh crap, which fixed disk was I on when I hit that?"

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you might think about unplugging your good drive for the fdisk session, just to be safe...

[/ QUOTE ]

This would have to be done BEFORE booting from a boot floppy, right?

5. Resurrection_Joe

Yeah don't go yanking wires with the power on

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Could I just open a DOS prompt thru Windoze and do "format d:" and "format e:" ?
    I read the link that R_J posted, and I get the impression that a partition can steal a bit of space. On a 6GB drive with one partition, could I have lost enough space to be of concern?
    This is getting a bit complicated... All I want is a place to park mp3's, pics, and vids to get them off my laptop HDD, yet be easily accessible.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Buy a USB2 HD!

Partitions eat up space but the least amount wasted is with one fat partition

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to do this on-the-cheap, since I'm a bit financially challenged right now. My budget DOES allow for freebies, so that's what I'm going with for now.
    Plus, my laptop doesn't support USB2.0. I'd have to either suffer through USB1.0 slow transfers, or buy a USB2.0 PCI card along with the drive. Ain't happenin' anytime soon...
    Plus, the wife doesn't want yet-another box around the laptop. Bad enough already with the printer, cablemodem, router, and soon-to-be-installed external CD burner....