Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer Guru's - HELP

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BurbLover, Apr 10, 2004.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Computer Guru\'s - HELP

I tried to install a 10/100 card on my Win 2000 system. Now, it won't even load. Says a "PCI" driver is missing or corrupt & locks up. I can't even get to a point where I can start from scratch & reload stuff, which is what I want to do. Can anyone tell me how to restart from scratch? Thanks. Also, if you are so inclined, feel free to try me at 719-321-8506.

TIA!!!!!

PS - My kids will greatly appreciate this. It's there computer.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Re: Computer Guru\'s - HELP

I'd love to help you out, but we're walking out the door.

Take your number off the net!!

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Did the card come with a driver? On a computer I was working with once I had to install the driver before the card, may want to read into the instructions

Don't worry about posting your phone number, paranoia makes you die faster

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

1)pull the card and remove any drivers windows may have loaded or you did via "choice of drivers" list
    2)reboot without the card.
    3) log on and find the correct driver on the net that matches your card or chipset
    4)don't install the driver, but have it on a driver ready to install
    5)Turn off pc. install card
    6) when it finds new hardware, choose to provide software
    7)locate the driver and you should be good to go.

If this does not work, then maybe the card is bad. Another thing, your mother board doesn't have a built in lan connection, does it? If so you'd have to disable it most likely in the bios.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I dunno if you fixed this yet with the above suggestions, but I wanted to get this posted quick, since I'm paranoid and am expecting to die quite fast now thanks to Joe's insight... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Remove the new card before anything else. See if you can boot ok.

To re-install from scratch, you can boot from the Win2k cd and overwrite with a new installation to the same directory (one of your install options). Don't forget to have a win2k Key handy before you start if your version needs one. You can also put the win2k CD in if you get back into windoze, go to the i386 irectory, and double-click winnt32, but I'm less familiar with the options it provides, since that's primarily an upgrade install option (since the machine already has an OS obviously). I'd recommend the booting to CD option. Running it from winders, there' a chance you can end up upgrading (which might fix it but won't clean it) or installing a second bootable win2k, which serves no real purpose. If you can't boot to cd, you need to make a win98 boot floppy, which is a whole 'nother pain in the arse...

To try to recover the old system:

1. As you're booting, press F8, and choose safe mode as the startup option (not with networking).
    If it still won't boot, stop here and proceed to next suggestion.
    2. Once in windows, go control panel->"Add/Remove Hardware"->Next->"uninstall/unplug..." Next->"Uninstall.." Next-> (check the "Show Hidden Devices" box in your new drivers aren't listed), and scroll down to the drivers you had installed for that net card.
    There is a chance there will be several unknown devices. One of these could be the culprit, but be very aware, removing one of these could bring on more hours of driver misery. Delete "Uknown Device"'s through the Device manager (right click my computer).
    ***Use this removal app carefully, hidden devices are often hidden for their protection!
    3. Highlight the driver, and next through uninstalling it.
    4. Reboot, try again. Maybe look the card up on the net and download the drivers somewhere else.

If you can't get into safe mode:
    1. Put your win2k CD in and boot to it. Select "R" for repair when prompted.
    The primary option I'd go for here is the recovery console, but there are too many possible's too try to write out. There's a lot of info on the net about using the console, probably better than I could write, since I don't use it often. I think the other option is automatic repair, but that's more or less a re-install (which *may* fix it, but very time consuming).

Good luck either way.

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Nice detailed instructions. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

That's what I like about this board, great advice. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

So <font color="orange"> newyorkin </font>, I would guess that you have built (fixed) a system or two. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I actually did what you (&amp; others) had suggested beofre ever reading the info here. I guess that means I actually did it correctly. I also ended up making a Win2K boot disk (set of 4) and booted from those. Anyway, it appears I don't have the necessary drivers on the system to run the ethernet card. I called my Cable ISP and that is what was concluded. So, I'm gona try to contact DELL on Monday. However, since my system is 4 years old, I doubt they will help me. After all, there customer service sucked when my system was new!!!

8. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

You could always run down the the local 'puter shop and pick up a cheap NIC for about $10.

Heck, I'll send you a freebie if you'll pay postage. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif