Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer Gurus...I am buying a new system, couple of Q's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TrcksR4ME, Aug 6, 2003.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Computer Gurus...I am buying a new system, couple of Q\'s

I am getting a new computer system real soon here. I am looking at the Pentium 4's, and they have the nowm Pentium 4 up to like 3.06 ghz (i think) and then they have the newer one from 2.4ghz + with HT (hyper threading) and a 800mhz FSB.

My question is which is better? I know a fair amount about computers, but haven't kept up much lately. I can get a 2.4ghz HT 800mhz FSB with 512mb of DDR PC3200 ram for the same price as a 2.8mhz non HT with 533mhz FSB and 1gb of DDR PC2700 ram. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I do a lot of computer graphics and need some system power. I am considering a Dell or Gateway because my last computer which is from a smaller company that ranked fairly well in PCWorld tests has been nothing but a headache, and my old Dell 450mhz Pentium 3 still works after all these years.

Also, is the AMD Athlon worth looking at? Thats what I have now but I am not too impressed...

Long post, sorry TIA

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Computer Gurus...I am buying a new system, couple of Q\'s

Let me say ALL I sell in our shop is AMD. AMD has a great chip and they are not changing there platform all the time like Intel. Don't let them get you in to believing that MHz ARE everything because it is not. It is really about instructions per clock cycle. We go to both AMD and Intel events. When we go to Intel show they put there chips up against there older chips, but when you go to the AMD shows they put there new and best CPU against Intel's new and best. Can you see some thing wrong this that? I can type more later.

3. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I do a lot of computer graphics and need some system power.

[/ QUOTE ]

G5 -

[​IMG]

4. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

AMD makes some good stuff, that's the only processor I use. Far better for games, cheaper, etc. The whole 800mhz FSB is total scam, it's really more like 400mhz with some voodoo crap to make it mimic an 800. Pentiums are good for computer graphics stuff, I've never tried any of that with an AMD, but I'd take the AMD overall because I personally like them more.

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I just bought a new one, well, I bought the pieces and built one.
    ALL NEW PARTS
    case w/350watt power supply
    80g hard drive
    AMD 2100+ 1.7ghz
    floppy drive
    Only 256mb ram (don't need more)
    ASUS NForce motherboard
    ....paid $300 for all Shipped

I already have a good monitor, CD & CDRW, keyboard and mouse /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Good prices. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Where'd ya get your parts?

7. big pappa b

I usually order everything from Newegg.com .I could have gotten some things cheaper too.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have a IBM pentium 3 1ghz that I've been really happy with. I say shop around, try different machines till you find the one you like. Dell has a great rep for survice.

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

AMD is definatly worth checking out. You can get a BUILT AMD for the price of the basic Intel machines. I think Intels prices are too high and them changing platform (like someone else mentioned) worries me when its time to upgrade.
    I would shoot for a Athlon XP2800 right now, anything higher than that I think the prices will jump up. Save the cash on the CPU and stock up on RAM, Start with 512MB DDR and if you need more its easy to snap in a new stick! With computer graphics (non-gaming type) I would suggest a dual monitor setup with a matrox G550 card or the little more expensive Parrana (sp?). If your doing photoshop and other adobe/macromedia stuff its great to have a window to work in and another for tools. I do Dreamweaver sometimes it nice to have a full screen of HTML and the other for the WYSIWYG and tool bars.
    [​IMG]
    I have been using the Matrox 32mb DDR G400 for 3 or 4 years. It not a gaming card but I do play Double helix and some racing games without alot of problems.

10. big pappa b

The computer I just pieced together is for my wife. She just uses for surfing mostly and writing/saving diet and workout plans for her clients (personal trainer)

When I build MINE in a month or 2 it will definitely have dual screens and a CATV input so I can watch TV and surf K% at the same time /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    but I have to wait until I finish the K5 first. I think I have my next 5 paychecks already spent /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

11. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

cool deal, thanks!