Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer Gurus...im building one...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TXsizeK5, Jan 16, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

a computer, that is.
    Anyway, I built one a while back, but kinda forgot what i was doing or how i did it... my friend will help with assembly, and thats not too hard. But once you have everything, can you give me general and basics of what you have to do with installing software, like windows, and anything else, such as drivers, etc? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks

2. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Sure, what version of Winders are you puting in? What parts did you get...huh...huh...the specs! Big hard drive?Fat 32?fat16? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Some of this is like info you may have, and yet not really complete enough info to do anything with... If I had more time I'd write more!

1. Boot to a floppy or CD
    2. Partition/format the hard drive
    3. Copy the OS files from the cd to the hard drive.
    4. Run the OS setup from the hard drive copy
    5. Find whatever drivers the OS can't find on it's own, then install them, but have a network driver if you plan to download them from that machine. I.E., don't start the job thinking you'll just download them from the internet once the system is built, because if the system doesn't recognize your modem or net card, you ain't gettin' nowhere, fast.
    6. If it's XP, activate the piece of manure only AFTER you've added or rearranged all your hardware.

You'll need syntaxes and commands to do all that stuff, but if you need them, I can type them later, or some of our other computer savvy members can help out.

Good luck!

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Yep.. give us more details and we'll have you up and going in no time.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

well, havent done it yet... but I am palnning to run windows XP. Either Pent 4 or Athlon, not sure yet.. probably 512 or 1024 mb of memory (overkill? lol) and geforce4 card, justlike a 60gb harddrive, what other info do you need?
    Does it cost more or less to build your own? I was thinking less, but i might be mistaken!

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

BTw, where did you learn all this great stuff about computers?

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you run XP.. Just set the bios to boot from your CD-ROM. It will do the rest.. It is setup to boot from it.. It will also have most if not all your drivers.. They made this one really easy...I built my P4 about a year ago.. And started with XP.. I think it is the best opsyst. yet. I have probably had three lockups in a year. And just went to dual monitors..It is great..

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

How exactly does dual monitors work? My gf was talking about it, her professor was saying its better for programming, what exactly does it do? Thakns

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd go with an Athlon cpu for home. I'm using either an Athlon or a Duron right now (home, 2 years old so I forget which it is), and it performs just as good as my laptop Pentium4 1.13Ghz. I've always liked AMD for thier underdog status, but their chips are not bad at all. I think they just have a terrible marketing history, so they're not as "cool" as Intel chips to some people... I'm cool with either, but I like Athlon's while the wind is blowing this way...
    Get as much ram as the mother board and your wallet will support. Older os's like win9x may hiccup a little if you use more than 768Mb, but xp should love the more ram.
    60Gb should be fine! For better performance, get a higher spindle speed (7200 rpm).
    Video card technology I'm not as up on, but I guess that sounds good! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I've found with the state of big manufacturers pricing in recent years, buying is more cost effective than building, primarily from Dell or Gateway. Building a system can work out to be the same price-wise, though, but because of the balance, may be just for your personal pleasure.

I started goofing around with computers a couple years ago, just snowballed from there. Computers are cool!

10. gokartergo

You just have 2 monitors and 2 video cards.. You drag and drop programs between the 2. The mouse goes back and forth between them.. It is sweet.. I guess it was kinda buggy in windows 98.. But it took me 15 minutes to set up in XP. The only problem I had was I had the monitors on the wrong side of each other.. Meaning when you moved the mouse to the right it jumped on to the right side of the other screen.. Just moved them around and it is great..

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

if you get it going and have some problems check out computing.net

12. jjlaughner

13. gokartergo

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ITS REALLY HARD to go back to a single monitor after having two though!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep.. It sucks when I go into work and have to use one.. . I am thinking about three.. I have 2 more PCI slots... My wife will kill me thou....

14. jjlaughner

15. gokartergo

Yea but those are only 32 meg cards.. I like 64 meg for the games..LOL Both mine in there now are 64 megs.. One AGP X4 and one is a pci...

16. jjlaughner

Yeah, I play double helix on mine and its OK. The NEWNEW Matrox card is a 128MB or 256MB DDR TRIPLE head (and its supposed to pull games across all three screens).
    Parhelia

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. gokartergo

Yea those cards have to have a power supply hooked up to them.. I bet they run over $500.00