Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer gurus - laptop memory upsize ??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Dec 27, 2004.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, it's time to upsize the memory on my laptop to regain some of the performance that Micro$oft has stolen from me... It's a Dell Inspiron 8200, P4 1.6GHz, 256MB RAM, WinXP Home.
    Is it really as simple as buying another 256MB stick of the appropriate type, dropping it in the slot, rebooting and PRESTO! I've got 512megs of RAM??

2. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

I just did something I probly should of done a while ago, there a program to monitor and free your RAM and they have free downloads, I downloaded it earlier and it's great, down in the corner it shows how much RAM is left and when it starts to run slow or there not much left just right-click on it and free RAM

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ken, it depends on how Dell loaded your current RAM. If they installed a single 256MB module then you should he able to add another 256MB to get up to 512MB. If they stuck in two memory modules of 128MB each to get the system to 256MB then you'll have to toss out some of the memory before the upgrade. :( If the slots are full now, then I'd just buy a 512MB memory module. Then if you decide to upgrade to 1GB later you'll have a spare slot to install another 512MB into.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

tunedportK5, the program you described sounds like FreeRAM XP Pro. I leave it running in the background all the time. :)

It's available for free download at www.yourwaresolutions.com

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Ahhhh.... Guess I'll have to shut 'er down for a while and pop the little memory cover off the bottom to check it out.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Go to http://support.dell.com, plug in your service tag, and go to warranty info. From the warranty info page, you can check out "System as shipped" and see what config they used for ram, too.

Although, after explaining that, maybe it is faster to just pop the cover...

7. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

cool thanks Harry