Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer gurus - memory installation

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Sep 26, 2004.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I salvaged 3 sticks of 32MB PC100 RAM from an old computer my father-in-law gave me. My Win98 box also uses PC100 RAM, so I figured I'd throw 2 of the sticks into my mobo and get an additional 64MB of RAM on top of my existing 128MB (single stick). BUT, the new RAM's not showing up. The memory test during boot-up doesn't reflect the new bytes, and once the system's up and running, Win98 doesn't recognize that there's an extra 64MB's on board.
    Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening?

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If it's too old of board it may not accept over a certain amount of memory or certain sizes in certain groupings

Crucial Memory has a guide ont hier website for such diagnoses

You could have plain [censored] up the ram though /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

make sure they are seated all the way in place

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You could have plain [censored] up the ram though

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I didn't literally THROW the RAM in, I kinda gently placed it into the slot. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I figure RJ means killed it via incompatibility.

My guess would be there's a particular order for your Motherboard. Some older boards were finicky about where the dimms were placed (I have a Dell server that will NOT boot if you have less than a 128mb in dimm slot 1).
    Other boards require you to enter the bios, and maybe do something, or just enter and exit sometimes does it.
    Or, it could just be wierdly incompatible. I've had ram that just doesn't work with some machines, but will work fine in different ones. If you add multiple dimms and gained 64mb, I'd guess they were fairly old. I don't swap much ram anymore, but I know pc100/133 dimms were finicky and unpredictable for a period, maybe 200-2001.

I would start with the arrangement. Move the dimm's around on the board.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I think I know what he meant. I was just messin' around.

I didn't move my original 128MB stick at all, and Windoze still shows 128MB RAM onboard. So maybe I should shuffle the sticks around... maybe pull my 128 stick and try two of the 32 sticks?

***** On second thought... If I'm just using this box as a "filing cabinet", should I even bother with the extra RAM? I won't be websurfing, messing with pics or vids, or anything of that nature on this box - just storing files to be accessed over my wired home network from my laptop (which is my primary comp.).***

7. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

a lot of older computers require a matched pair of RAM, I had a Packard Bell (read, crapola!) that was this way. I don't think u can put em in 'wrong', does one end have a groove that seats in there? I haven't played with my computers innards in a long time....if theres no groove, flip em around /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif