Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer gurus, please explain this to me.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not the brightest person when it comes too a computer. I can run them okay, but I don't know chit about how they work. I can do basic things like install memory, but I really don't know what it does. Okay, my computer has 2 slots for memory. Today I took out a 128 stick and replaced it with a 256 stick. I now have 512mb of memory. What does that do for me ??? I really haven't seen any difference. I know more memory is a good thing, but what have I gained for the $90.00 + tax I spent on more memory ???

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I believe in the other post you said you have a Pentium 3. So that means you are probably running Windows98?
    Win95/98/me do not effectively use larger system memories.

So what good does more memory do? Why do people buy a Gig or 2?

To prevent using the swap file. If your computer tries to load more stuff in memory than it has memory for, it creates virtual memory on the hard drive AKA swap file.

When you use the swap file, your computer lags. It twiddles it's virtual thumbs while the hard drive takes forever to retrieve the data on the swap file and at the same tiem write to the swap file. After all, if the memory is full and you add more to it (i.e. from the swap file) then something else has to be written to the swap file to make room for what you are adding.
    It's a vicous cycle.

Probably, you haven't tied up the system memory much. Try opening a bunch of explorer windows, edit a few pics in photoshop or whatever you use, and load up a video game. You'll see you are using hte swap file. With 512M of memory, you will use the swap file less.

FYI It sounds like you paid retail for the memory. If you buy online you can save a lot.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Running windows me, but it's not very different then windows 98 in my opinion. Yeah, bought retail from a local computer store that deals in IBM. I was getting a message saying I was out of memory. Hard drive is getting full too, but I won't be able too buy a new computer for a few years. I'll probley upgrade to a larger hard drive around Dec. if I can afford it.

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Sometimes when you have older processers and small gfx cards more memory dosent do anything. memory is pretty much for multi taskers and big programs. the only diffrence that you will notice is that you could for example... have CK5 open looking at BOTD while on kazaa dowloading "music", while listening to music in windows media player, while talking on instant messenger.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You could very well have many programs running in the background that are not needed. Shutting some of these programs down can give you back some of your system resources and make things work faster for you again.

do a ctrl-alt-del and see how many programs are running. Maybe some of them can be killed.