Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

computer gurus please...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryoken, Feb 19, 2005.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm in the market for a cheap laptop to run winaldl in the truck.. and i mean cheap... i've never had one before...

from my understanding, i only need 32 megs of ram and 98 to run it.. i've done some hunting around the bay and have seen quite a few in 64 meg variety with windows 98 and like 6 gig hd's...

any pointers on brands i should be looking at, etc? or things to avoid?

i've seen them as low as like $50 or so.. just wondering if this is feasable to get an ok laptop for that kinda money.. this will strictly be for truck diagnostics... i did notice that some didn't come with harddrives, while some did and came with DOA warrantees...

any suggestions appreciated...

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i paul, ill ask my bud at the computer place to see what he has. they always have old ones laying around. ills ee if i can get a great deal on one

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I bought a laptop on Ebay I am using it right now. Been a good deal so far.
    It wasn't a cheapo but I got it for a good price and it had very little use and came with a warrenty.
    If you get one make sure you get a DOA warentey. Also if you plan on running it on batteries. Check on E bay to make sure you can get a battery/power source cheap if you need one.
    Dell parts seem to be the most plentiful and cheap as far as parts go for laptops

You should be able to get an old Dell P2 laptop with win 98 for around 50.00