Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

computer gurus, question for you.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cybrfire, Oct 8, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Hooked up a seperate monitor to my laptop for an upcoming swap meet. Want to be able to run a slide show of stuff at the swap meet and maybe some videos. Not really a big problem but when I play videos, I can't view them on the laptop. They show fine on the external monitor though. Is this normal? Video card can't take it or something? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Oh, I just wanted to add, everything else shows on both monitors so just the videos.

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

There is usually a setting that will allow you to switch between just viewing on the monitor or viewing on both monitor and laptop. Usually it is a Function key combo on the laptop.

Well, your revised post proves it not to be my answer.

3. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

use the F8 function....it does it 3 seperate ways...on the laptop screen only, the monitor only or both...so just hit and see what happens and keep goin until both appear....don't be too impatient though...it sometimes takes a sec or two for it to pop up on the laptop screen...

should be good to go!

4. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

i just saw that bottom line too!!! i'd still try using F8 before moving on to another suspect cause...

5. cybrfire

Hey, I found the key you guys are referring too. It's F7 on mine and alternates the views as described but doesn't change the scenario with videos. Could it be a setting on Windows Media player?

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Do you have it set up to extend your desktop to the second monitor, or be a copy of it?

If it's a sony Vaio and you're using a docking station or port replicator, try it without the Port replicator. I've seen some weird video (motion picture) issues when using Vaio's with docking bays and external monitors.

Also, your graphics card may not be capable of video playback on both channels, but I doubt that.

7. cybrfire

I believe it is set up to be a copy of my desktop. Afrad I don't know too much about this stuff. I basically just shut it off and plugged in the monitor and this is what is happening. I haven't messed with any settings other than switching between displays with the F7 key. Just talked to my brother who is more knowledgeable with computer than I am. He said the LCD screen is a faster display being digital and what ever so the computer is slowing down the output to accomodate the analog monitor or something like that. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif