Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer guys, need help!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Dec 15, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Went to turn on Tshy's new computer and it won't boot. It turns on and the fans go to spool up but right then it shuts off. I'm thinking the CPU is done. It was previouslly in my old computer setup. Worked fine there. So did the RAM. I know its not the video card or power supply. Tried different ones and am using the video card that is in this computer right now.

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Ok, how do you know it's not vid card or power supply? Have you tried different ram? One stick or two? Are both sticks seated all the way? Have you tried them in different slots? If two sticks, have you tried removing one? If it does what you describe, it's probably something involving RAM in one way or another. Why do you think the cpu is done? Have you taken it out of it's socket and re-installed it? Make sure the retention bracket/lever that holds the CPU in it's socket is properly and comepletely fastened. Are the IDE cables seated all the way? Are both power supply connectors on the motherboard seated all the way? If you don't even get the system "beep" during boot up, its most likely one of these things. RAM, CPU, power, or vid card. Theres only a few things it could be. Process of elimination. :)

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know, I eliminated PSU and Vid Card by trying a different PSU that I know works and the vid card I was using the that PC is the one I am using right now in the computer I'm typing this on(my 9800SE). 1 ram stick, tried it in 2 of the 3 slots. When I am done working on my burb tonight I will come in and mess with it more. My next step was pull the chip and put it in the other board and just try to boot. Board is brand new so I'm suspecting that after Chip and Ram. I swore Ram issues used to develop a beep. No system beeps on startup. My buddy went out with his girl or I'd have a test chip to try another one. I need to order a replacement whatever if there is an issue since this is a damn Christmas present.