Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer Guys, What do you use to monitor temperatures and voltages?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Apr 11, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have always used Mother Board Monitor, but they havent updated it in forever. As it sits, my voltages do not seem to be right, but I just don't know.

I just finally became able to OC my computer, and I have already hit 2300MHz, but my voltages seem crappy. Right now it is monitoring and saying that my CPU voltage is 1.42Vs. Stock setting is 1.45, and I have it set at 1.55Vs. So it would be really really nice to know if it is in fact 1.42 or what. I just had it run 3D Mark 2001 SE stable at 2300MHz, if its at stock voltage, I'm impressed. Temperatures are up from 2000MHz but not a lot.

So what do you use? I want to push this thing more but I want to find out if my Core Voltage is really not changing or what first.

2. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

do a search on google for Speedfan. I have an old version kicking around somewhere but Im sure it has been updated. Works good. Right now I am using mobo monitor. Works good for my stuff.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I downloaded two other programs at random... both read the sameway(actually one reads a little worse on 12V voltage...), now I realize I do in fact have a voltage issue. Question is, is my Mobo or Power Supply? Both are quality products... Asus mobo, and Antec power supply. Sigh, yay?

4. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Asus is pretty good about their warrenties. I would call em up and see if they will swap it out for you. Try getting a cheesy powermax 450w or something and drop it in. Drop the bus speed, but increase the voltage and see if it reads any diffrent.

Is the system running stable? Run Prime95 on it for a few hours and see if it crashes. It could just be the sensors reading false information.

5. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

the ONLY way to be sure you are getting accurate readings is to check in BIOS

that being said, MBM5 has always done what I asked.

on a side note, be REALLY carful messing with vcore voltage. you could find a DEAD cpu very very easily

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think you said in another post that you had an Asus Mainboard? This board will have a BIOS with a lot of features in it to adjust things. When it comes to monitoring the CPU temperature, your BIOS will have a feature that allows you do this in real time. It has been a few years since I have spent a lot of money building a trick computer, but all the BIOS I have seen had a feature to set the CPU core voltage, but not monitor the CPU core voltage. You would need software like you already have for that. Like CustomChevy said, you are messing with fire increasing the CPU's core voltage. Make sure the CPU's Front Side Bus (FSB) is set correctly in the BIOS. Also, to increase your computers speed a little, set the RAM latency timing to its fastest setting in the BIOS. Fastest means, the lower the number the faster the memory will go.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not new to overclocking by ANY means, I've been doing it as long as I've been building PCs. I was uping FSB voltage when people said it was a horrible thing to do, found more MHz, more speed, and no problems back then. In the end if I fry something, I really don't care, it was someones way of telling me it is time for an upgrade(just like breaking axles).

I am not sure I trust the BIOS so much. Whenever I start the PC it POSTs at the stock 2GHz... But when I get to windows the chip is at 2.3GHz, and is a marked bit faster than the 2GHz setup so I know it is true.

8. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

In the past few weeks, Ive downloaded and threw away several programs now that monitor that stuff , including ASUS's own monitoring software. None seem to work. They get wrong voltages and fan speeds (none in some cases), and my eyes and the bios tell me different. Ill keep looking though...

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It has been a lot of years since anybody has been able to truely over clock a CPU because the FSB and core voltage was locked in. The only way to over clock a newer generation CPU (Pentiums/Athlons) is if you did some reasearch into what pins to run a trace wire between, which disabled the clock/lock function, and with some of the new pin and socket configurations currently coming out, even this may be a thing of the past.

If a CPU is a locked unmodifeid CPU, and you increase the FSB or core voltage in the BIOS, all that will hapen is that the CPU will continue to run at its rated maximum speed and no faster. The problem with increasing all the specs on a locked CPU is, during POST, the BIOS could become confused when trying to identify the hardware, and cause the computer to lock up.

I think the newest technologies coming out that is really going increase speed on a desktop computer is the new mainboard busses, which run from the memory slots, and the graphic card directly to the CPU. In the past, physical memory and graphic cards had to pass through the bridge buss first, in order to get to the CPU, which slowed things down.