Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer guys...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jan 29, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay here we go...
    I have always been interested in computers...I pretty much grew up with them.
    I eventually want to build my own computer like Jeremiah, Allan and Joe (to name a few). But I don't know much about them...building wise and picking out what I need, and putting it together. Jeremiah said to look at websites...but I don't know what ones.
    So I am making this thread to ask the computer guys to point me into a direction for magazines, websites, etc. So hopefully in a few years I can build a neat computer too.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

stop spelling my name with 2 lls stave ;)

as for computers. hmm I learned mostly from just using them all the time when I was younger and I learned to build from a friend. I'll look around for newbie guides.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL oh sorry...for some reason I thought I was allan...I'll spell it alan now...sorry! haha
    thanks

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think you used to spell it right then recently you started adding an L. It bothers me when people spell it wrong, and since there are quite a few spellings of the name it happens all the time. People I'll never see again I don't correct. Anyway...

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/ check that out. I just read the headings and not the article but it seems decent.

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

One key thing to remember....don't let some nerd at the computer store try and convince you to buy the "top of the line" part when you have no use for it.:D

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think someone else on this site is spelt with the extra L, so when i used there name, I guess it got added to yours. You shoul;d have alerted me long ago...
    That article looks good...I will read someof it tonight.
    Thanks, Alan

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i go to computer shows and buy all new "6 month old" stuff. its a ton cheaper and just as fast as i will ever need.
    i have $300 USD into all the hardware in my comp including moniter, case, processor, motherboard, HD, video card, CD-RW, 2.5 disk drive (ive used it once :cool1: ). every thing ive need.

i learnt from my dad. about 1/2 year before i build my comp i couldn't tell you a dam thing about the hardware except what it had. my dad helped me pick the stuff and put it together, but i can run it better than he can, lol. now when i have a problem with the harware, or to test something of my dads, i do it all my self.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thats what I want to beable to do...fix my computer when something goes bad, or make a few bucks when a friends or family members compiuyer messes up. But mostly just for my benefit...