Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer help needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Jun 8, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a laptop that is dying a slow death. The CD burner has died, as has the screen. I have it hooked up to a monitor now.

Problem is that all of my family pictures are on it now.

Can anyone tell me how to network it with my desktop as inexpensively as possible. I simply want to get the pictures off.

Both computers are running XP.

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Zip them up into a file and email them to yourself or put the .zip file onto a floppy.
    And if you're thinking about throwing it away, don't. I may want to take it off your hands. What speed is it and who made it?

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You can use a null modem cable or use if possible

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

RJ - I'm a total newbie when it comes to computers, what is a null modem cable. a friend of mine suggested a router, but doesn't know how to make it work.

spearchucker - its a 1g pentium. I'm at the office right now, and I don't remember the brand.

5. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Router is pretty easy. Just plug the computers into it (make sure you don't plug them into any ports labled "Uplink" or "DMZ"). You might have to make sure both computers are on the same workgroup. If you havent' changed any settings on either one they both should be on the MSHOME workgroup. To check, right click on my computer and select properties, then click the name tab.

Next you have to share out the folder on your laptop you want to copy over.
    Find the folder, right click and select "sharing and security". Select "Share this Folder" and make sure you select "allow network users to modify my files" (or something close to that).

Once that's all done you should be able to open windows explorer on your desktop, and expand "my network places", "entire network", and "Microsoft Windows Network". From there you should see your laptop. If not you may have to search for it. Click on Start, Search. Then click "Printers, Computers, or People". From there type in the laptop name and click search. If you don't know the laptop name it's in the same area where I told you to change the workgroup above.

Good luck,

Scott

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

If you have a cable modem, somewhere around there you'll have a cat5 cable (I'm just assuming you operate wirelessly). The cat5 cable is the one with the connectors that look like oversized telephone connectors. If you're not connecting wirelessly, it's probably the cable you're using to connect your comptuer to your router/cablemodem.

Plug the cat5 cable into the dying laptop, then into the other machine. If you're lucky, you'll get green or orange lights, indicating it's connected. If not, you'll need what's known as a Crossover cable. Let me know if you need one, I had someone order me patch cables and they accidentally ordered me 100 crossover cables :doah:... You can also plug each machine into a broadband router (as long as it has a built-in switch, I.E. multiple computer ports) and see if it assigns each an IP address automatically. If so, then you can just skip ahead to step 6 below, finding out the IP addresses of each machine first.

Otherwise, once you have physical link established (the lights), you have to give each machine a static IP address.
    To do this in XP:

1. Open the network control panel (right-click "my Network Places" and hit properties).

2. Right-click the active wired connection and hit properties (usually called "Local area connection #").

3. Find and double-click "Internet Protocol" in the list (under "This connection uses...")

4. Click "Use the following IP Address", and enter the following (if you already have numbers there, write them down before changing them, so you can put them back later):
    - 192.168.1.4 for Computer A
    - 192.168.1.5 for Computer B
    - 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask for both.
    - Leave all else blank

5. Hit OK to close the protocol properties, then OK again to close and save the new network settings. Close or minimize the network connections box.

6. On the computer with the files you want to move:
    -A. Open "My Computer", then the C: drive (or any drive)
    -B. Click "Tools" then "Folder Options" at the top of the window
    -C. Click the "Veiw" tab, and scroll to the bottom of the list
    -D. Uncheck the "Use Simple File Sharing" check box, and hit OK.
    -E. Set up another admin user account:
    --1. Click "Start", then "Run", and type CMD, then hit enter
    --2. At the prompt, type (without quotes) "Net user Admin2 Password1 /add" and hit enter
    --3. Next, type "Net localgroup administrators /add admin2" and hit enter
    ** If those were each done right, you'll get a success message after each command

7. On the computer you want to PUT the files:
    -A. Click "Start", then go to "Run"
    -B. Type the IP address of the OTHER computer (as assigned in step 4), and the defualt C drive share, formatted as follows: "\\192.168.1.4\c$"
    -C. When prompted for username, enter the target IP address and admin2 formatted as follows: "192.168.1.4\admin2". For the password, enter Password1, or whatever you used in place of it in step 6 E 2
    -D. If done correctly, a window should open with the contents of the C: drive on the target system. You can now take files from there and move them anywhere you want on the destination machine.

8. If you assigned a static IP for each machine in the first six steps, reverse those steps and select "obtain IP address automatically", or change the addresses back to what they were before.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it is...