Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

computer help.... updated...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryoken, Feb 18, 2007.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hopefully RJ or 1 of our more prolifac computer guys will have insight into this...

I've been having lots of internet connections probs as of late... Kept losing the internet after a couple minutes of surfing.. Got a new modem.. same...

Everytime I reboot, IE, Firefox, etc will work for a couple minutes then it can't find a server...

I've done a fresh install of windows, no help.. Btw, this my old Gateway system, 98 SE. My newer XP system is down for some hardware upgrades...

I'm suspecting it has something to do with my ethernet card. the cable and port seem fine... It's an old Intel board, P3 and a SMC EZ card 10/100 SMC 1211TX ethernet card...

Anyone know of a connection test program or something to try and narrow this down.. Needless to say, it's exceptionally annoying... :mad:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  2. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

The best way to trouble shoot a hardware problem is to save your data, format your hard drive and install a clean version of windows. 99.9% of most problems like you are describing are a corruption of the windows OS. If you still have issues after that then you know you have a hardware problem.

The tcp/ip stack itself could be corrupted...in win 98 you should be able to go into the nic card proporties and delete tcp/ip, reboot, and reinstall tcp/ip

The nic card driver may also be the problem. If you have the driver or if you know that windows will detect it automatically, you can delete the nic card in device manager, shut down and restart then install nic driver. This option can sometimes go horribly wrong and requires phsically removing the nic and any ghost duplicates of it's existence in the registry...which will bring you right back to my original fix...format and reinstall windows from scratch, not over the top.

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

If you do this, make sure you check for .cab files first because if you dont have em, you will need your win 98 CD to reinstall TCP/IP. From what I have seen, TCP/IP will a lot of times reinstall itself after a reboot.

4. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Also I dont think TCP/IP is your problem. I would think that if it were TCP/IP, you wouldnt be able to route at all.

You might try and run a ping test when Firefox drops off to see if you are no longer routing.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd recommend the same thing, when your connection drops, go to a "dos prompt" and try to ping your router/modem. If you don't know how to do that:

Click Start->Run
    Type "Winipcfg" and hit enter
    Find the entry for "Default gateway"
    Open your dos prompt
    type "Ping [default gateway number no brackets]"

If you get replies, then it's probably something at your router/modem, not the computer.
    If you don't get replies, it means your computer can't reach the router/modem, which could be the modem's problem, or the computers.

If you've already done a fresh install, then I would lean away from it being a software problem, but it may still be.

I'd also suspect that since it doesn't start until a few minutes after you're surfing, that something is starting in the background and sucking up all your bandwidth. If you can, when this happens, kill all background processes that aren't critical, and see if the connection comes back.
    If you have a wireless router on it and are in a fairly populated area, unplug the wireless for a few minutes and see if the connection gets better.

You can also try a packet sniffer to see what exactly your network card is seeing on the wire when this happens. When network cards go bad, they either stop working altogether, or start spitting out junk packets that kill the network. That could very well be your problem.

6. ryoken

ok, just did this after it was screwing up and had packets sent, no loss... So that rules out the comp?

btw, no router or wireless just a modem...

7. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Try pinging a website next time.

eg.
    ping www.google.ca

if that doesnt work then grab ahold of your windows 98 cd, go into the registry and delete winsock and winsock2 entries, then uninstall tcp/ip. reboot and reinstall tcp/ip. That will rebuild both winsock keys and you should have conectivity.

8. ryoken

ok, pinged google and got returns, no loss...

wtf?!?!? scream at Comcast?

9. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

No Comcast isnt the issue. If you are getting replies from anything you ping your internet connection is fine. You more then likely have got a browser hijack. Go to housecall.trendmicro.com and see if you can get the online virus scan to run. If you can boot into safe mode with networking you might have better luck with that.

Problem is I can't remember if 98se has that option in the list. To get to it you have to push f8 just before the 98 splash screen on boot up.

10. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

What newyorkin & dogday said about something trying to run in the back ground/hijack after you successfully connect makes sense. I call it "ethercrickets". Go ahead and format that pig...once something that insidious gets into windows you are sol. I'd also look into mozilla as your browser instead of IE if you already haven't gone that direction yet.

11. ryoken

what a pain... avg isn't picking this up.. can't get trendmicro to go all the way thru, gets killed 1/2 way thru... am I gonna need the key for this windows 98 disc if i fully nuke this? what is that f-disc?

12. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

13. ryoken

to both? can't i make a boot disc or will that be corrupted too?

14. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

sounds like a virus to me as well.

Remember to do virus scans in safemode. Windows can't remove something if its running.

might also just be spyware.

www.microsoft.com and download windows defender.

15. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Save any data you might need first because your gonna lose everything. After f-disk and format I create the "c:\windows\options\cabs" directory structure then copy all the cabs from the cd "D:\WIN98" onto the harddrive. It's a little anal but that's where the OS will be looking in the future and you won't need your cd to reinstall drivers and stuff.

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's what I do, too. Copy all the installation files to the hard drive, and run the install from there. If you have another hard drive partition, like a D: drive, you can copy the install files to it while you're still in windows, then after you boot from the disk, start the install from that other partition. It's much faster, which is very helpful if you run automated installs like I do.

The cd key is in the registry somewhere, but I can't remember exactly where in Win98. There's shareware out there you can use to read the current cd key. Make sure the version of the CD you have is the same version that's actually on the computer, or the key may not work...

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I found one of my old automated setup inf's. It's basically a setup script, so you don't have to sit there clicking "Yes/no" and all that junk that really doesn't need to be in setup... I forget how to use it in win98, so if you're interested, copy it to your boot floppy or some other place you'll be able to find it from dos, then when you're ready to run setup, type "setup /?" to find out what syntax will use the script. It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is...

Shoot me an email at rratch at gmail.com and I'll reply with it attached, you'll just have to make sure to replace the key with your key.

18. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Before we go down the long dark path...It could be his DNS. Next time you have trouble surfing, try going to 72.14.207.99 (google.com). Do you know what you are using for your DNS entries?

19. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

That is good advice. Find the actual IP of the url's you have a problem connecting to then enter the IP addr into the browser...good to determine DNS problems.

I think that he gets past the DNS part of the session then drops after pulling the page???....unless it's still in local cache?

20. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

dns was ruled out on the first page.

DSL or Cable ryo?

if its DSL, call up your ISP and ask then what your recommended MTU setting is, then have them help you change it, as i don't have any memory of how to do that in 98.

and if you're going to goto the trouble of a format, find a 2000cd and key and use that.

98 is just..... WRONG