Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

computer help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigyellowjimmy, Apr 28, 2004.

1. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

All the icons are huge and my charting software opens up huge as well....I think this happened when my son was playing a game on it....I right click on the wallpaper and under settings it shows the screen area is 640X480 but I cannot drag the slider to change the settings /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Dell laptop Win 98

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Try reloading the display drivers

Maybe the game locked in its compatible setting, 640x480

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

yes. try reinstalling the drivers. something is conflicting that is not letting you change your resolution.

4. bigyellowjimmy

Ok, how do I reload the drivers (sorry Im so computer stupid)....

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Have you rebooted?

6. bigyellowjimmy

Yes, its been this way for several days.....

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If you got a disc with the dcomputer find one that has drivers on it

Right now you can go to add/remove hardware, view list of devices, and look for display adapter, check it and see if it says its worling properly, should have a button to update drivers

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Are you on this computer right now? You sure you're not in safe mode? If not, I'd guess windows is having a problem recognizing the card's range and won't let you change the default config, or the color mode won't support the resolution.
    Try to change the "Colors" setting and see if it lets you then change the resolution in any of the different modes. The game may have dumped it to 256, and the adapter doesn't support more than 640x480 under 256 color mode.

If that's all good, right click "My computer" and go to the device manager tab, then click the + next to Display adapters, and see if it shows something other than "Standard blah blah...", like an actual manufacturer name. If not, that's your problem, it's using a generic driver.

I wouldn't think the driver is causing it after a game, though. I usually see Games fork up settings, not actual drivers.

9. bigyellowjimmy

Under display adapters in the device manager tab it shows "RAGE MOBILITY-P AGP (English)" when I click on the +
    If I remember correctly this is the same as original though?

The color was set at 16 bit, I changed it to 32 bit and restarted but it still wont allow me to change the screen area size.

Thanks for your help!

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

OK, in device manager, see f you have a "Monitors" entry. If so, make sure it says "laptop display" or something similar. Can't remember if win98 loads a monitor driver.

On the display properties settings (where you'd change the resolution), click the advanced button and look around for a "refresh rate" setting. Since this is a laptop, I'd suggest changing that to something like 65 or 70 and see if it helps.

All else fails and you reach your last straw, I'd say delete the Rage... entry from device manager, reboot and hope it can find the driver or you have the driver cd, but that should be a last resort only. You might also be able to find the driver on the ATI website support page. If you delete the device without having drivers, that can be an ugly can o worms to open...

11. bigyellowjimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, in device manager, see f you have a "Monitors" entry. If so, make sure it says "laptop display" or something similar. Can't remember if win98 loads a monitor driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there is a Monitors entry. When I click on the + it shows two items, both say "Generic Television"

Hmmm....

Jeff

12. bigyellowjimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    On the display properties settings (where you'd change the resolution), click the advanced button and look around for a "refresh rate" setting. Since this is a laptop, I'd suggest changing that to something like 65 or 70 and see if it helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Found it, under "Refresh Rate" there are two options

"Optimal" (which it is set at now)and "Adapter default"

Thanks again....

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

ok, delete the generic television entries and reboot. hopefully it will find the correct display, and if not, maybe take off what it thinks it's restricted to.

If that doesn't do it, pursue the driver upgrade. You might even be able to get one form ati's support site that you can just download and run to install. That'd be the best thing to go for.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I gotta change offices now, hopefully someone else can chime in with some help on the driver!

15. bigyellowjimmy

How do I properly delete the generic televison enteries? In device manager/monitors when I select generic television and hit delete I get a warning "You are about to remove this device from your system". I do link this computer to a television sometimes so I want to make sure Im doing this properly.......

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Oh sure, you have to complicate thigns by actually using them... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ok. At this point, I'd leave the tv entries alone and reinstall the video adapter driver from ati's website.

17. bigyellowjimmy

I'll do that, thanks again for your help!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. bigyellowjimmy

I went to Dells website and downloaded the ATI drivers, installed them and it worked, everything is back to normal size. Noticed it set the color to 16 bit so I changed it to 32 bit and it went back to the way it way before. Had to reload the driver again. Wierd, I'll just leave it on 16 bit color, I'll bet when my son played the game it changed the color setting....

Thanks everyone for your help!