Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ktedesco, Mar 18, 2005.

1. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Anyone know how I can completely erase my hard drive so I can start my computer over from scatch. It is all screwed up with viruses and hijacking stuff. I have saved all my important stuff on CDs. The problem is I don't have a boot disk or anything like that so I can reload Windows and all the necessary start up stuff. This thing is really acting up now. I have to ctrl+alt+del and open up task manager so I can end process on about 20 things before I can use the computer.:mad:

2. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

What you are trying to do is Fdisk the drive. This command repartitions the drive. This is one of the best ways to start fresh. The good new is the Windows install give you options to delete/create partitions. This is the same as using the DOS command but much easier. Other than running a low level format this is the best way to eraser a hard drive. What version of Windows OS are you going to be using? Make sure to back up any thing important and have copies of any drives you may need. If you are using XP it has most drives preloaded. Once you have installed the new OS go to Windows update and load all available updates. Install a good anti-virus as soon as possible too. Good luck.

Try downloading, installing, updating and running Ad-aware SE and Sptbot search & destory first.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You'll need some sort of boot disk to run fdisk and format the drive, look around the internet

4. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

I use Windows XP Home Edition. Since I don't have the disk do I need to buy Windows XP in order to reinstall it.

Do you know of any websites that could walk me through the Fdisk procedure?

I see you live in Alpharetta, my dad lives there. Small world.:grin:

5. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I sent you a pm.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

i dunno if you made any progress with this, but if your pc is retail, you can check to see if it came with a "restore disk". You can usually boot to those and make like 3 or 4 choices to re-install your system.
    I'm guessing by you saying you dont have a disk that you don't have a restore set...
    Before you blow out your system, make sure you pick up an install cd and legit key for windoze... If you get a bootable XP install cd, you can format the partition as one of your choices during the setup procedure, I think somebody said that already.

If you don't have a key or a special version of windows, you should probably wait til you get that to do anything....

7. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I agree. Make sure you have install disk or there is a hidden partition to reinstall before you do anything.