Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer issues, Volume II.......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Jan 26, 2005.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, some of you may recall my post a couple weeks ago regarding the cooling fans in my laptop.
    Well, seems that my initial troubleshooting was, ahhh, sub-par at best. Both fans are working; the problem was my CPU load was 100%, with NO windows open, nothing in the taskbar, and no HDD or Internet activity. Therefore, the fans kicked straight up to max speed after about 5 minutes of the computer being on. I couldn't ID the process that was causing it due to the extreme CPU slowdown the heat was causing (good ol' Intel SpeedStep tech...) So I restart a couple times, no change. Took about 2 days to get through a virus scan, clean (I wouldn't leave it running unattended for fear of missing a "your computer is about to melt down" message). Shut down totally for a couple days, boot up and it's back to normal. WTF?!

Soooo, I'm thinking it's time for a format and XP re-install. The last time I did this was during the Win3.1/Win95 heydays, so I KNOW I'm way behind the power curve as far as knowledge of the process... On to the questions:
    1. Obviously I'll need to back-up My Documents, but are there other folders/files I should copy as well (aside from games and other apps)?
    2. I'd like to be able to restore all my settings (fonts, colorscheme, etc.) and keep my IE Favorites; what do I need to copy for that?
    3. Is there a way to d/l ALL of the XP patches and fixes from Micro$oft to a CD, so I can update my new XP install WITHOUT going online with a vulnerable O/S?
    4. I have the Dell OEM disc with what I assume is XP Home jammed onto it; my documentation doesn't address a format and re-install, so does anyone have experience with doing this to a Dell?
    5. Tips, pointers, do's and don'ts?

2. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

u have norton utilities?? I only ask cuz i think they have a process monitor, that tells ya what apps are running. Maybe it'd help ya figure out whats eating up the processor. I have done the whole re-format thing before too, and its always a PITA....takes days to get things set back up and installed. I have never done XP, but imagine its very similiar...only ya don't need a boot disk (floppy). Is it under warranty? maybe call em if it is and see what they suggest.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Have you tried sysyem restore. ????

You can restore back to the orginal install date if you want. its a lot easier than Fdisking and reinstall. Then just go th MS asnd download XP service pack 2

Do you have any spyware protection/removal software? Should have Ad Aware or spybot.
    I bet you have or had a downloader virus. They can take a lot of system resources they hide them selvs well, usually run in stealth, Connect to the internet automaticly on start up and do all kinds of crazy stuff.

My daughter had one of those on her Dell Latitude. With same problems you are having.
    Got rid of it with this:AVG Free Great anti virus program and best of all its free!

Also its good to have a firewall if you are connected via Cable or DSL to the net. Zone alarm Free Works great to protect your computer. It is free also.

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I would say forget System Restore, Norton, and all that other sweeping-the-problem-under-the-carpet stuff. It's never a bad idea to format and reinstall an OS. It's like doing an oil change for your computer. If you're fairly good with computers you shouldn't have to save your colors, settings, etc. That stuff usually only takes me about half an hour to get back to the way it was beforehand. It won't hurt to install the bare XP and then immediately after installation get on Windows Update and get all the necessary security updates. One thing you need to make sure to do when you have your new installation up and running is to turn off Automatic Updates. If you leave the setting unchanged, Windows will download all new updates, including Service Pack 2, then install them without asking. In my opinion, it's best to stay away from Service Pack 2 right now. I haven't heard many success stories with it and have heard countless horror stories, including one on my roommate's computer. If you want some more detailed help send me a PM and I'll give you a few more pointers and some "tips" for getting a clean, fast install. Without any exaggeration, I'm sure I've formatted and installed Windows on various computers at least 50 times so by now I can pretty much do it with my eyes closed [​IMG]

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Slash and Burn (Format) is the best way to go. Think about partitioning your HD into more than one drive so you can keep your data on one and the OS on another, maybe more than two if you want to have a lot of organization and a partition for games or something. Doom 3 takes forever to load.

If you set it up this way you only have to kill the main drive and everythign else is safe

I've surprisingly not had to nuke mine since I clean installed XP, but I did do a repartitioning of my second HDD and the first was untouched, proving my theory.

Anyway good luck

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I've got Norton Antivirus Pro 2004, runs a full-system scan on it's own twice a week and auto-updates. Got AdAware 1.05 with the latest definitions, and Spybot Search & Destroy. Got ZoneAlarm for software firewall and a broadband router. I regularly clean up cookies and temp files. I learned a long time ago to be proactive (I hate that word...) when it comes to computer protection.

So, anyone else have experience using Dell's OEM disc for reinstalling XP?

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

yep but not on a laptop...

At bootup watch the commands (I think its F10 or F12, on the laptop maybe something different, if it has a dell graphic try hitting the esc key to see whats loading the dell graphic often masks the actual boot process). Get into the bios or in Dell's case when I hit F10 it let me change the boot options, change the boot options to cd-rom as the first boot drive then pop the restore disk in and reboot. It will stay boot from cd press anykey, enter, spacebar something (you have about 6sec to hit a button then it boots to the harddrive). Once it boots to the cd it will load some default drivers and such then come up and ask if you want to repair, reinstall or delete partition, choose delete, then it will have a safty screen where you probley have to hit L for 'you will Lose everything', delete the partion, recreate the partion, then install on new partion, it will format and begin the reinstall. Most OEM systems/OEM OS disks dont require the COA numbers but check around on the laptop and disk for the COA label and make sure it has the registration numbers just in case (the XP home I just done on a dell did not ask for it), then it will boot up a few time during the install, ask for a few settings (usually unless you know what your doing just click next and install the defaults, change your time zone and enter your login name you want or hit skip to bypass all the login and registration stuff since you probley already have done that when you got the laptop). Once its back up and running, eject the cd, turn the laptop off and then turn it back on, hit the F10/F12 button again and set the default 1st boot back to the hard drive.

reinstall your programs and do your windows updates :xmas: