Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer People advise me

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DUKE, Jul 2, 2002.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

My computer is toast, so im looking for a newone. Its been a while so im not up to date on value. I can have a "buddy" of mine build me this set up for $654 is it worth it?

Processor
    INTEL P4 2.2GHZ SOCKET 478 CPU
    INTEL cooling fan

Motherboard
    VIA® P4M266 MOTHERBOARD
    2 DDR DIMM sockets and 2 DIMM sockets support
    Maximum 2GB (DDR SDRAM or SDRAM)
    400MHZ.(FSB) Front Side Bus
    1 AGP 4X graphics slot, 2 PCI slots, 1 CNR slot
    Two - 16550 high-speed serial I/O port, 1 game port

Graphic Card
    INTEGRATED 32MB SAVAGE VIDEO CARD
    Up to 1920x1200 resolution, 16M colors
    Excellent for DVD playback and 2D/3D gaming.

Memory
    KINGSTON 256MB PC2100 266 DDR MEMORY
    Lifetime warranty
    Two (2) 184-pin 2.5V DDR* (Double Date Rate) SDRAM
    Maximum supported memory is 2GB

Hard Drive
    MAXTOR 40GB 5400 RPM HARD DRIVE
    Ultra ATA/100
    3 year warranty!

CD/RW Drive
    32x12x48 CD RE-WRITE DRIVE
    Read - 48x, Write - 32x, Re-write - 12x

Modem
    56K V.92 DATA/FAX MODEM

Sound
    FULL DUPLEX SOUND CARD
    u Stereo DVD Support/software
    u AC97 audio codec

Floppy Drive
    3.5" 1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE

Chassis
    ATX MINI TOWER CASE
    2 Front Side USB Ports
    350 watt power supply
    4 - 5.25" and 1+ 2 - 3.5" drive space

109 KEY ENHANCED PS2 KEYBOARD
    3 BUTTON PS2 SCROLL MOUSE
    180 WATT PMPO MULTIMEDIA SPEAKERS

Ill let you guys tell me, if i can do better let me know im so lost with out mine.
    /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

BTW, i was going to buy new 35inch tires with this money /forums/images/icons/mad.gif at least i had saved some up /forums/images/icons/mad.gif looks like another month or two before the meats get put on.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

thats not bad but
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Memory
    KINGSTON 256MB PC2100 266 DDR MEMORY
    Lifetime warranty
    Two (2) 184-pin 2.5V DDR* (Double Date Rate) SDRAM
    Maximum supported memory is 2GB

[/ QUOTE ]
    upgrade this to the 256 MB PC2700 333Mhz only a couple more $ sells for $57 vs $43 for what you have listed

also
    Hard Drive
    MAXTOR 40GB 5400 RPM HARD DRIVE
    Ultra ATA/100
    3 year warranty!

[/ QUOTE ]
    upgrade to Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm UDMA133 again only a few $ more this hard drive sells for $84
    other than that it dont sound like a bad deal /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

IMHO Maxtor hard drives suck... Western Digital are so so... Seagate are nice.... I'd consider some other brands too......... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Poster: ChevyCaGal
    Subject: Re: Computer People advise me

IMHO Maxtor hard drives suck... Western Digital are so so... Seagate are nice.... I'd consider some other brands too.........

[/ QUOTE ]

whew, you've got the exact opposite ideals on harddrives I do... :-)

from my practical experience, Seagate is the worst drive company ever. we've had to replace our server drives 3 times durring the warranty period, and the warranty is up in another month, so next time they go down, we have to drop several thousand more dollars. (except that we're finaly replacing the server in question)

Western Digital used to make the highest quality drives around... had a 4.3 gig drive I bought in 1997 that finaly kicked the bucket last year, and I currently own a western D 40 gig. maxtor I think of as one of the best drive companies out there. I havn't had any failures from the drives I've bought through them, they have decent buffers, decent speed (7200 RPM is the way to go ) decent price, and a decent warranty.

with that out of the way, the system your buddy has described sounds like a BYO system from Fry's electronics... the board, graphics card, chip, heatsink/fan, and case all come in a convenient package, that you only have to add Drives and memory to. the package generaly runs about $200 for the setup you've described, plus 100 for the drive, and 50 for the memory... the real question of course is, does this setup come with a legal copy of an operating system? the real cost comes in getting a legal OS on there, wether you install a free copy of Linux, and learn how to use it, or pay for a copy of windows 98/XP, and put that on there....

the board setup itself is also somewhat limited, having only 2 PCI expansion slots, and a CMR slot. just my take on the matter....

-Rich

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Definatley, the local comp. store just sold one similar to that for 1200. If you can afford it do it.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think that looks fine, but if I were in your shoes, I'd buy a Dell or something with an extended warranty. Nothing like having it fixed the next day when it breaks.

Dont forget about a monitor, that's another $100. You also might want to get a network card if you're not using just dial-up. Then finally, like Rich said, you need an OS, which will run you another $100 for a home version (from what I understand, you can't really pirate XP either). A dell system usually comes with the monitor, network card, and OS. I wouldn't be too quick to recommend Linux if you're not very computer/software savvy. Sadly, while I think the concept of Linux is great, I'd still recommend Microsoft products just because of the overwhelming software titles available and support.

If you're not doing graphic/video/audio editing, I'd say your drive choice is fine, but faster is better. Maxtor drives used to be junk minutes out of the box (they got an industry wide reputation for it), but they've seriously improved in quality over the last couple years. I've had 4 40gb/7200 Maxtors going since 09/01, never turned off, and they haven't even hiccuped.

Bottom, line, I'd say you'll get more for your buck from Dell, especialy if you get a 3 year warranty on it.

8. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

The price included a copy of win XP, Im pretty sure its legit. I also have several monitors, a network card, dvd, and superdisk drives. I would love to learn how to use linux but cant, i had tried with a dual boot system and everything got screwed and i dont have the time. From an ecconomical stand point warranties are bad news, I could (should) write a book about it. Besideds i do not live near a place to take it anyway. Thanks for your help everyone, I think i will buy new tires and beadlock wheels insted /forums/images/icons/grin.gif