Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

COMPUTER PEOPLE!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bryguy00b, Nov 12, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok..had to put a new bourd in my computer..its a 750 athlon slot a...just put a shuttle bourd in it...well everything is fine but when i go to setup windows..(i boot through boot disk..and put 98 cd in) and while it is initializing the computer to start the serup..it either says requires 2094320984 or osme wierd ass number ands stops..or it says windows setup RE or somehting like that and stops..wtf is that? and on my OTHER computer (p1 100)..i put a p1 166 mmx up grade in it..a ATI video card, and a 2.5 gig to replace the 811 meg hd. well..put all THAT stuff in there..and when i power it up..then hd spins, and the cd drive will open..and the power supply works..but i get no video..and nothing really boots up or nothing..kinda like a few things power on but thats about it..it just sits there..no video or nothing..and the only thing that was wrong with it befor was the hd develeped a bad sector..so i replaced that..and the cpu and video card while i was at it..what could have gonme wrong? im lost!! thanx guys!

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you need to reformat your hard drive

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Just taking a guess, you may not have enogh free space on your hard drive to do an install. How big is the hard drive in your new machine? How are you starting the install program?

Try this:

<ul type="square"> [*]Boot the computer with your Boot Disk. [*]At the Command prompt type "fdisk" and hit enter. [*]Follow the instructions and delete all the partitions on your disk. WARNING: This will destroy ALL information on this disk!! [*]Create a single partition and format it as a FAT32 volume. (just follow the defaults) [*]Now try to run your install again.
    [/list]

That should work.

If you still have problems, make sure you write down the EXACT error message. It will make it easier to help.

Good Luck.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yeap thats exactly what i did..did it a few times as a matter of fact...the hd is a 40 gig..im lost..im about to take it to a store..and i can biuld computers...any other ideas? ill try it again just for laughs and tel you guys what it says...thanx

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

On your slower computer did you go from a non-mmx chip to a mmx chip? Some motherboards do not support the extra power circuit that is needed on an mmx chip. Others do "plug and play" and yet others do but need a jumper to be moved around to power up the second circuit. Sounds like the cpu is unable to initialize and so no posting is going on. Check the jumpers and the motherboard capabilities. They built the non mmx chip up to 200mhz.

On your other system. When those boards came out, I think the max harddrive was in the 15 or 20 gig area. See if there is a bios update available for it. You might need it to access the hard drive correctly.

Can you post the exact error message? The number it gives can be referenced back.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea the pentium 100 was a non mmx..then i put the 166mmx..i set the jumpers to 166 instead of 100..i thought that was the only jumper to switch..cause i know it says in the manual it will take one of those overdrive mmx processors...so i figured it would take a regular 166 mmx..the bourd only suports up to 166 as well. i also tryed putting the old cpu back IN...and it did the same thing...

on the other one..hmmm i dont know maybe thats the prob..i know on the first bourd i had no problem with a hd size...either way..if i have a partition on it..or none..it alwyas starts to check the system when its running the initializing test..then will say checking system or something like that...then will say windows setup re...or something..and it will stop and i will have to restart it..ill try to get the error message...im about to just take them over to the computer shop and have them do it..only thing is they are so overpriced...just to get my computer dieagnosed to see what blew..(it was the motherbourd..thats ewhy im replacing it) was like 45 bucks for that.. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok i downlouded the newest bios for it..but how do i update it..or flash it or whatever...

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok the error i get is: Setup requires 7430032 bytes abvialable 0

so its saying liek i dont have enough room..but how the **** can that be with a 40 gig hd!!?? help guys..im soo close...

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think you need drive overlay software, or correct the bios to see the proper drive size. Overlay software should have come with the drive.

Also, it could be that your drive is simply not formatted.

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i thought i was formatting it but it does not seem liek it is..seems liek its still full of [censored]..mudhog gave me a downloud im going to try... and no no software came with this drive..i got majorly ripped of when i bought the harddrive but thats another story i wont rave into lol..im close i got a few more tricks up my sleeve ill let you guys know what happens..thanx!!

11. Sandman

Sounds like the bios is'nt picking up the harddrive at all or something. Flashing the bios might help this. Boot off of a floppy. A windows rescue boot disk should do the trick. You want to get to the command prompt. If you can get there. put in the floppy that you put the bios on. there should be two files. One will be some type of .exe program that does the flashing. the other will be the new bios data and will be a .dat file or something like it. Where you downloaded the bios should have the correct flasher program as well if you didnt get it this time. If you have them both, it will go something like this:

a:flasher.exe 340045.dat

The first being the flasher program and the second whatever data that is the new bios information. Doing it that way will run the program and tell it to use that data. Good luck with it.

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i just checked my bios and i have the most updated one on the bourd..so im lost...i was going to use a program of of western digital to format the hd..but it wont fit on a floppy!!

13. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have you checked your bios settings to see if the hard drive is being recognized correctly?

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Be careful with the WD formtter, if it's the one I'm thinking of, it can screw up the boot sector if used improperly or on the wrong type of drive.

I scanned MS's support site real quick on this, and I got a couple thoughts that might help.

1. First and foremost, make sure the bios is actually seeing the drive, and seeing it at 40Gb. Go into the bios and make sure it auto detects it. You may have actually said that you already did that, but I can;t hit back right now...
    2. Repartition and Format the drive (Check out Goober's post above)
    3. Reboot to the floppy (or CD) with cd rom support; don't choose the "Start setup from cd rom drive" option.
    4. Navigate to the \tools\oldmsdos directory on the cd. Once there, type "smartdrv" and hit enter (just manages memory and caching a little better to make things faster)
    5. While in there, type the following (without quotes, placing the drive letters in place of {__} spot):
    "xcopy32 {cdrom}:\win98 c:\win98" Confirm it's a directory by hitting "D" when prompted.
    6. When the file copying is complete, navigate back to your C: drive, and to the new win98 directory. While in win98, type setup /? to find out the setup options (something like "setup /ih /is /nr /im"). Run setup with the least stuff, I.E., skip the memory check, registry check, scandisk, billboards, floppy creation, etc.
    7. When/if setup bombs, Take a picture of the screen and post it!! Like Goober said, the exact setup error is very helpful, you can look it up on MS's technet site, or in technet kb itself to figure out if othere's have had and gotten past the same problem (no computer problem is impossible to get over!).

Check out some of these articles, too, see if they're helpful.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300026

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224836

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;243450

Good luck!! Keep us posted!!

15. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

Three words for ya. "RESET CONFIGURATION DATA" Not a guarentee but it does wonders.

16. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    max harddrive was in the 15 or 20 gig area

[/ QUOTE ]

36GIG should be the max on older boards, thats a problem I ran into bought an IBM 40GIG and the MOBO would not take it.
    Threw in a 30GB and away it went! Later, Jeremiah
    I put the 40gb in my new PC

17. jjlaughner

I would start from scratch...
    Take out the bios battery and let it reset itself (15-20 sec).
    If you have another computer around toss the HD in that and format it in windows as a fat32 drive. (may not be able to the get the 40 gig in the 166, most older boards have a 36gb limit).

On the second computer, the 166, try pushing all the cards and memory back in tight. Something might have come loose and thats causing an error.
    Always do 1 upgrade at a time. CPU test it out for an hour or so, swap out the video card, play with it (do the settings), swap out the next thing... Helps in trouble shooting stuff. The CPU would be my biggest concern, the 100 to 166 was a huge jump in technology for the day and alot different use in power.
    Good luck
    Jeremiah

18. jjlaughner

something else to watch... the 100's usually just had a heatsink, some the 166's shipped with heatsinks and fans! just another idea. Jeremiah
    Just an idea but hit ebay and look around. I bet you can find some good deals. I got a USB ready MOBO, 450Mhz AMD socket 7 CPU, modem, network port, and heatsink shipped for $35! Ram was another $30. Thats a good boost from 100mhz.

19. Sandman

What I meant to say was that I believe that was all that was available at the time and the bios manufacturers were not pushing the ceiling much further up. Should have stated it better. But I think your right. If he downsizes slightly he might be fine. It would be fun to be able to get my hands onto it to find out whats going on. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx for all the replys guys..the motherbourd seem to find the hd fine..it shows up on the screen anyway..i have not tryed taking the battery out though..but i dont see what difference it would make..im still waiting to get that hd formatting prg on a floppy so as soon as i get that i will give that a go. the other computer..think im just going to take that to the compiuter shop and have the look at it..i can only mess with one of these at a time...