Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer Problems

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cavalry, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Ok I know there are a bunch of wizards on here so please help me. While running win 98 it did some funky flashes and noises then completely locked up. To restart it I had to cut the power. Comp now ran REAL slow Figured maybe I got a virus because of the weird behavior right before the lockup. Scanned got nothing. Scanned disc for errors got a few fixed them. Checked disc with the diagnostic program found a bad sector but Scandisc could not see or fix it. I then formatted C drive and reinstalled everything back to factory paremeters. Now it starts up weird (the screen is blank and never shows whats going on in DOS) but the "windows" logo comes up. I also cannot get a dialup speed of over 37K. I ran scandisc everything is fine Diagonistics still have this message
    Error:
    Hard Drive 1: Sequential Verify Test:test failed, error code: 017010001
    Failed Verify Command
    Time of Error: 12:12PM 1/6/2002
    Error Details:
    Track = 6520
    Head = 10
    BIOS Return Code = 0x0011

So what do I do now?

DRIVE IT LIKE ITS YOUR BOSSES!!!
    Luke
    84 K5

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

How did you format? Did you use a factory re-image disc? Who's the manufacturer of the machine, is that a Dell diag? I don't have enough detail to say, but I might think the hard drive is failing, especially if you still have the problem after reformatting. It's probably running slow because it's trying to access parts of the swapfile that may be on bad sectors of the disc.
    Personally, I would use fdisk to delete and recreate the primary partition (ensures no bad data is left behind), then format it, copy to hard drive, then run the DOS scandisk with the /surface switch, before any other data goes on the drive (running the scan off the drive itself as opposed to floppy or cd is the scanning runs a little faster). When/if you run scandisk, use the /surface and /autofix /nosave switches so you don't have to sit there and confirm every fix...

If the surface scan turns up no problems, after you re-install windows, install your antivirus scanner next and make sure it's updated and scanning "all files accessed" as you restore other programs and files.

If your hard drive turns out ok, then make sure you're using the correct driver for you modem and not a windows default basic driver.

If you want to see what's going on during boot, hit esc when it shows the "win98" logo splash.

Dell shipped a bunch of Optiplex Gx 110's with IBM 15Gb drives around march 2001 (I think) that have been failing like crazy, but they won't admit there's a trend... I got 20 of those machines and so far I believe more than half the drives have failed either shortly after going into service, or during prep for our facility... I would guess there are a lot of other machines using these hard drives, too...

Good Luck!!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.

3. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Ok you lost me a bit so I'll answer these the best that I can
    Its a compaq 1200xl106 I formatted c though DOS, then used the compaq disc that came with the machine to bring it back to factory (in theroy) specs I have done this before and the drivers were correct. Fdisk util is a new thing to me but there seems to be a pretty good writeup about it on MS support. About the no DOS thing You cannot see it even after hitting esc just a blank screen till the win screen comes up. I'll read up on Fdisk and see what I have to do Thanks

DRIVE IT LIKE ITS YOUR BOSSES!!!
    Luke
    84 K5

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

If there's nothing there when you dump the splash screen, then there's probably nothing that you can see happening... Or there could be a "CLS" line in the autoexec.bat you can delete (to do so, run "sysedit" from the "run" line, find the "autoexec.bat" window, type "rem" in front of "cls" if it's present, then exit and save changes. Dont' change anything else in there!). You do get a blinking cursor in the corner, right? Then it will load windows?

If the drivers are correct and you came back up from a base factory cd, then I'm not sure what would be doing that to the modem...

Beware of FDisk with a compaq though!!! Compaq does some crap with a D: drive that will contain essential system data that your restore discs need. Unless you have the special quick restore cd's for deleted partitions (they don't ship with the computer, you have to request them).

Did you run scandisk for windows with the "thorough" option? That will run a surface scan that can find more problems than the lite scan... Is that where you got the errors?

FDisk is very easy to use, but be aware it will destroy all your hard drive's data beyond recovery.

If your machine is less than a year old (or year from purchase), call Compaq tech support! 1-800-OK-COMPAQ

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.