Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

computer processors

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K5Chris, Jan 16, 2007.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

So, I know there are a few computer experts here..... I haven't built a computer in a couple years and haven't kept up with the technology. I'm looking for a processor in the $100 dollar range. The AMD's seem to be a little more pricy than I remember. I've found two Intels that seem to suit my needs, but I can't decide on which one...
    one is the Pentium 4 (541) 3.2ghz prescott 800mhz fsb, with hyperthreading
    the other is a Pentium D (820) 2.8ghz Smithfield 800mhz fsb with dual core

basically, it's hyperthreading versus dual core. both are about $100, but I'd have to sacrifice 400mhz for the dual core.
    Is there an AMD variant comparable to these that I haven't seen?

I'm probably going to run a Gigabyte board, i've been very happy with them. I am still running a 1Ghz AMD athalon machine I built in 2001 with a Gigabyte board. It's been struck by lightning twice, and is still running. :bow:

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I have an AMD 3500 series that I love.

What do you plan to do with the PC?

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I used to be big in AMD. I run the intels now because of the heat difference. Like stated above, what do you plan on doing with it?

4. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

5. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I have my AMD overclocked and it still runs at about 35 degrees celcius.

6. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

nothing real hardcore. not really into games, but i'd like it to be able to run the recient games. mostly audio/video and web. trying to keep the budget down, but I refuse to buy low quality parts - they don't last. I also have no idea what video card to get. I've always used ATI in the past, they've got great support, but their software can be a pain in the ass. I like running multiple monitors, and a tv tuner. probably just add a pci tv card instead of an all in one type that i have now.

7. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

AMD's processors get more work accomplished with each cycle, so they don't have to clock them as fast. That's why they label them something like "Athlon 3500+" instead of the actual clock speed. In real world speed testing, that processor would be about the same speed in actual throughput as an Intel chip running at 3.5 GHz, even though the clock speed on the AMD chip is much lower than on the Intel chip.

As for ATI, they were recently purchased by AMD, so that may bring changes...

9. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i know about amd's architecture.... but it costs more. i would think 'best bang for the buck' would cost less than it's comparible counterpart. i'd just rather pay less for a faster clocked pentium.
    i did not know ati was bought by amd, that might be a good thing.

i'm actually looking at this card, seems like a decent price for a 512mb card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814125040