Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hi pinion, Jun 27, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Easy,,,,

Sometimes i leave my computer on. Does it hurt the computer at all? :)

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Yep. Electronics have a finite amount of time that they can be used before they die, just like people. Besides that, you're wasting electricity. If you have a newer computer you should have a 'standby' or 'hibernate' option that I recommend using.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

nope, its usually better than starting and stopping because of the static that builds up on the board and in the power supply. Power up and power down nightly of power supplies can be bad on the power supplies and mobo's. Unless I'm going to be gone more than a day or two my PC is on 100% of the time.

setup a sleep mode for your monitor for like 15-20 minutes and have the computer power the hard drive down after 30 minutes, I dont like the stand by and hybernate features either windows sometimes has issues and used more HD space for those functions.

I guess it depends on how much you use your computer also...

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I let my burn 24/7. I've never had a problem with monitor burnouts or anything.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

same here :D

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine is on 24/7. The monitor has a "sleep mode" or something but the computer is always on.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

assuming the monitor is off and the rest of the PC is in 'sleep mode' or whatever, a computer doesn't use much in the way of electricity. Also, I found the PC i had in college (which I left on almost 24 hrs a day for 2 years) to be much more reliable. Not sure why, it just seemed like it never crashed/died on me. I think if your case is properly cooled, leaving it on is best for reliability. Sorta like light bulbs. If you leave a bulb on you'll get more hours out of it than if you turn it on/off all the time because the hot-to-cold... cold-to-hot transitions weaken the filament. Smaller scale with PC stuff.. but same idea.

j

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Lets put it this way , where my father works , Chief Engineer of the WB TV station in Tucson , nothing gets turned off at all . Its better technically , but I couldn't explain it like he could .

Occassionally a workstation gets restarted , but everything is on stable operating systems so its few and far between .

Home computers , go ahead and turn it off when you aren't home . They are obsolete periodically , and you usually replace them before they die ( I just upgrade components ) .

I did have one power supply burn out , lots of smoke , so I turn mine off when at work . But on weekends its on 24/7 :D

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I would leave it on 24/7. It's probably not going to make much of a difference that you'll notice if you leave it on all the time or on when you're home, off when you're out.

I maintain a couple hundred computers for a living, and I leave them all on 24/7 for years at a time (with "restarts" occasionally). Usually hard drives will fail after a couple years, but rarely anything else.

I would set up a power scheme, though, that shuts the monitor off after 15 minutes of inactivity. It should be around the same place you set up your screensaver, under the power options or something like that.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

some say yes,some dont!

Our local police station has several scanners from the 70's that have been "on" since the day they got them!--only a power failure shuts them off!--the officer I know who lives nearby says they last forever if you leave them on constantly--but if you shut them on and off a lot they croak after a few months...I dont think this proves out with TV sets and monitors though--my father burned up 3 TV sets in 3 years,because he left it on all day and night many times for weeks on end!

I wish I could leave my computer on all the time--since it takes me 10 minites to "sign on" to my crappy AOL 9.0 IP --I think AOL sucks!--it made my computer 200% slower by "upgrading" to 9.0...and every other post I try to make says "web site not responding"--and I have to hit the "refresh" key and re-try sending it--aggravating!--and it disconnects a lot too,and lets you sit there with a frozen keyboard for 15 minites before they decide to tell you "your connection has been lost"...no S***! :surepal: :angry1: :angry1:

I wish I knew someone who knows computers a lot better than I do--I have lots of things I'd like to change on this one.. :crazy: