Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by willyswanter, Mar 1, 2006.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is it possible to run an AGP video card along side a PCI video card? I currently have a dual head AGP card running two flat panels and want a 3rd output to run my projector. Moving around wires and changing settings each time I want to watch a movie kind of sucks.

I bought a PCI card and threw it in but the computer wouldn't post, the flat panels never come out of standby mode. I have been told it's possible but not how to do it...

It's an MSI KT4 Ultra MB w/ATI 9800 Pro AGP Card and the new card is an ATI 9250 PCI card.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I've had trouble with newer PCI vid cards for some reason. I've got a couple really old cards and I can run them with an AGP and it works fine - but I've not been able to do it with newer ones. I've never been able to find a formula for what works, it seems to be hit and miss.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

If you can make the IRQ for the video cards selectable you could do it. Your non post problem is probably related to a IRQ conflict.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I did it on an older system. I think this was the config I had, Don't quote me though.

ABIT KT7A-RAID
    AGP = Dual head card from ASUS
    PCI = Some cheap older card form Diamond, Might have been a V770.

Here are a few things that I do remember.
    I could not get it to work with any ATI Dual Head AGP card.
    All IRQ assignments had to be set without ACPI being installed when I was using a DUAL boot Win2K(LiteStep) and XP.

I wish i could remember more about the ACPI thing as it was a real PITA.

6. willyswanter

I have made progress, I think...

I forced pci slot 1 to have an IRQ of 9 which is the only # I could find not used by anything else at the moment. That solved my lock up at windows logo screen, computer boots fine now.

When I go to the device manager it shows the new card. It is however disabled, it has primary and secondary on that card and both are disabeled. If I enable the secondary it seems to work but I get no picture out of the card, assuming since it's the secondary and not primary. If I enable the primary both my flat panels connected to my agp card shut off and go into standby and I still don't get a picture from the pci card.

Any ideas?

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

You do know that the AGP port shares its interrupts with PCI slot 1 (the slot next to the AGP card) and so any device on this slot could potentially cause conflicts with the AGP card. If you have free slots, move any PCI card away from this slot. If all your slots are full, put an infrequently used card in here (and certainly a card which isn't used during 3D applications).

8. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Check your bios, im pretty sure theres a setting in there you need to reconfigure. What operating system are you using?

9. willyswanter

Already fixed. I found an old card I had from 1997 (date stamped on it) and plugged it in to slot 1 and it worked the first try. I guess the dual ATI cards were having conflicts with each others drivers.

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

sweet

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status