Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

computer question..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bryguy00b, Jan 2, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok i got this older AT style PI166...that i just put windows 98 on..for the keybourd..its got the older connector..(the big round one) and for a mouse..im guessing its the ps-2 looking port thats in one of the slots...so istick the mouse in there..and sometimes it will highlight something when i click..but it does not move..any one know whats up and how do i get a mouse to work on this thing??? thanx!

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wash the mouse ball in soap and water, clean the rollers with a toothpick or pen cap, bang on the shift or ctrl keys on the keyboard, they could be stuck also...

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the mouse is fine..and the keys arent stuck..i had to keep pushing shift and tab to select things during the windows installation cuase the mouse wouldnt do anything..i dont get it..

4. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Did you try the other PS-2 port? You might consider getting a PS-2 adapter for that keyboard (a few bucks at Radioshack)and plug it into the first PS-2 port and the mouse into the second (Closest to middle). BTW Win 98 might be a tad slow on that machine

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

theres only one ps port..there is the big keybourd connector on the motherbourd (AT style...not ps-2 which is newer) ..and then there is a ps-2 port that was added in an expansion slot...thats it..

6. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Eww! before my time. Is the mouse newer or is it the original? Might have to configure it in the bios. What are you going to do with this machinge anyhow...tinker? You could probably get a newer AT board for a few more bucks.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

it cant be that old its a 166 mmx bourd with 91 megs of ram on it...and it has sd-ram slots to...so it cant be all that old..(for an older bourd that is lol) the mouses are newer..i got the machine to replace my brothers p1 100 that broke down a while ago..

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

try going throough the control panel, mouse icon/settings, and select the microsoft ps/2 mouse from the list and restart the computer. Sometimes windows tries to load a generic driver, if you tell it the microsoft one it should work OK. I have a logitec cordless, wheel mouse running on the microsoft drivers and works fine, load the logitec drivers and pauses and sometimes is not found.
    Good luck, You want to up grade that PC? send me a PM.
    Jeremiah

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    it cant be that old its a 166 mmx bourd with 91 megs of ram on it

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes it can be!

Do you have a Serial mouse laying around somewhere so you can try that? Does the mouse ever just stop working? You might also want to try removing the mouse from Device Manager and letting Windows reinstall it on the next boot up.

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I would guess that you might even have an IRQ conflict with this add in card. Go into the bios and disable one of the ports or make sure that the IRQ setup is automatic and try that.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Does the add-on card have a Microsoft logo? THat might be your problem. The Microsoft logo has a way of reducing once-functional equipment to junk.

Seriously, if it has the MS logo, I think I know the mouse you have. I had one once years ago, probably on a system real similar to yours, and I think it was a piece of junk. It's not quite a true ps/2 style port, but more of a 7 pin rounded port without the top dowel.
    Like someone else suggested, you should get a serial mouse and see if it clears up (after you've tried the generic driver and a re-install). My best guess right now would be faulty hardware, though.

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ill check the irq's
    upgrade? no thats ok lol..thanx anyway..but i biuld them for a hobby sometimes..i have no drivers for this..i got the computer all together..booted up..but no drivers for it..

13. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Count the pins on the mouse plug. If it is round and has 9 pins then it's what they call a Hosiden connector.

It sounds like you have an IRQ conflict which can be resolved manually by changing the jumpers on the card.

Your best bet would probably be to just get a serial mouse that plugs into a standard RS-232 port. That's the small "D" shaped plug with 9 pins, about an inch long.

Here is a picture:
    [​IMG]

If you want one, I've got some lying around that I'd be happy to send for the cost of shipping.

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm like check that out..thanx but i could probobly pick one up here..if i cant..ill give you a holler..thanx!!

15. jjlaughner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    upgrade? no thats ok

[/ QUOTE ]
    No prob, thought I would offer. When I build PC's for people I make them the deal I'll do free labor if they give me there old stuff to use, sell, set fire to whatever.
    I have a celeron 400mhz, mini atx board with modem, network, sound, video and 96MB of PC100 ram. I was going to make a machine for the blazer and hide it (it will fit in a small pizza box or under the seat and is completely operational). But I also have a 550 AMD vaio laptop with dvd and I steal my buddies GPS that goes in the PCMCIA slot! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Good luck with the machine
    j

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

that would be awesome!! computer in the truck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. jjlaughner