Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer ram upgrade problems

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DUKE, Feb 24, 2003.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Simple enough right?

I got two new PNY 512mb DIMM ram to put in my Dell Dimension 2300 series with a 1.8ghz, According to the memory companies and dell this should work fine. On boot up it reconizes the memmory and under hardwhere check the memmory is okay. (i also had a computer shop check it out)
    Long story short when windows loads it crashes, with various errors, never quite the same ones. Using only one of the memmory sticks will allow boot up but all the programs will crash and give and unespected fault error.

Anyone got an Idea?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Might have something to do with the timing set up in the Bios.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Try moving the ram around into different slots, one at a time, then the other, double check the bus speed in the bios and make sure its not set higher than the new RAM. If all else fails send it back for new /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. jjlaughner

Also, make sure the motherboard will accept the 512MB some limit the system to 2 or 3 256mb chips. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

I 3rd that, check the bus speed in the bios. I've had bad memory before and it usually will lock (even on post) or crash your rig.

6. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

How do you check that in your Bios? I am not too familiar with that stuff.

BTW dell said it should accept 512 chips.

7. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

I looked up your 2300 specs, and you can use 128,256, and 512...and you're capped @ 1Gb. Usually, and I suspect you did this, the largest amount of memory always goes in the first bank. You might also be absolutely positive you were given the correct or right part and bare in mind it could be bad memory. Try the other stick by itself too.

Well,your RAM speed in MHz, should match the RAM in your system (if you have 133MHz RAM, make sure it’s set to run at 133MHz). I'm not sure about Dell, but hit the 'Delete' key or possibly F2(I use delete) on the POST Screen when you see the memory count on start up. It only takes one stroke, but keep tapping it if you're not sure. Once in the BIOS, you'll see a menu in DOS. Navigation is by using the arrow keys, enter, escape, and page up/page down to scroll. The setting you're looking for should be in 'Advance Chipset Feature' (I think....I'm rubbing my eyes as I type. Old fart at 31). Select and make the necessary change if needed.

Try to find your user manual for the proper procedure, and again make sure you have the right modules. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Don't let this minor incident keep you from screwing with your 'puter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did Dell mention BIOS/motherboard upgrades? You can check the manufacturer of the motherboard site for updates.

9. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Thanks for that advice. I knew that the limit was 1g but how are you supposed to get that out of two bays? wtih two 512gb it puts you over only my 24bg,

I know what you are talking about, but cant remember the advanced chip set setting so I will check it out later. thanks

10. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    How do you check that in your Bios?

[/ QUOTE ]
    If I remember right, when you first boot the machine up you can hit ESC and that will let you behind the DELL bootup screen. To get to the BIOS you have to hit DEL, F1, F2 or some key during booting up. (if you do the ESC key when the dell screen comes up it will let you see whats its doing during bootup and it will tell you what key to hit to edit the BIOS).
    Good luck
    J

11. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

make sure they're not ecc. 2300 does not support ecc. it must be non-ecc 3.3v SDRAM. Latency of 3 or 2.

12. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I did get non-ecc memmory.

I checked in the bios, and didnt see anything like what was mentioned above.

13. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

It takes a Dimm 2.2 volt, 184, synchronous, unbuffered, pc-2100. Make sure that the memory chip that you are using 16 chips. Eight on both sides. Any less and the density of the dram is too deep for the system to see.