Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer stuff... SP2 for WinXP Home?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Jun 16, 2005.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, I'm getting really tired of seeing the "Upgrades are ready for your computer" bubble at the bottom of my screen. It's for SP2, and the last time I checked (months ago), the jury was still out to lunch on it.

So, is SP2 still the tool of the devil, or has M$ dropped enough patches to cure the issues? Can I go ahead and install it, or should I check the "Do not show me this upgrade again" box?

Oh, BTW - please don't tell me to swap to Linux or upgrade to XP Pro - I don't have the time or money for those options right now....

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I have been using SP2 on both home and work computer for months now. But, they are both XP Pro. From what I hear, SP2 should be good to go. :p:

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm ok with SP2 now, but I only work with XP Pro machines. There are some changes to the OS that can be rather annoying at first, but you get used to them.
    The most significant change is the activation of the built-in firewall by default. If you're using the machine on a network or you access it over a network, you'll have to disable the firewall after you install SP2.
    I'm not completely sure how to do that in XP Home, I built a script to do it on my Pro machines.
    I would also opt NOT to install it over windoze update. Search MS's site for SP2, and choose the network administrator install. It's like a 200Mb download, but it will prevent your machine from possibly being hosed if there's a problem installing the SP over windows update (not that I've ever seen that happen anyway).

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have downloaded SP2 on All 3 of my Comps running XP home. Been running fine for many months.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Thunder,
    No issues with any software? No unexplained freeze-ups that started after the SP2 install?

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I've installed it twice on XP home, no problems except for the annoying firewall

7. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I've got it on my home PC with XP Home edition. Against MS recommendations, I disabled their firewall. Haven't had any problems to speak of since the install. Good luck :waytogo:

8. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

You can also disable the nag bubbles in the control panel and update things manually when you want.

9. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Xp sp2 is actually beter for you then just running sp1. sp2 fixes alot of holes that are left open with sp1. As long as you scan for virus' and spyware every so often you should be fine.

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

No problems whatsoever from all three machines I have running XP Home Edition.

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, sounds good to me... guess I'll be doing SP2 next week!
    I'll post up with a success story.

And if I don't post up, I'm hunting you ALL down... :D :D :D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  12. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We started installing XPSP2 about a month and a half ago. We'd had it blocked prior to that. Most of the crap you can now workaround and/or turn off.

The main reason we were waiting is because we use kerberos along with AD. SP2 used to break it.

13. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Guess I'm the only one, but I tried downoading it as a windows update twice, both time it froze my computer and I had to do a system restore. I'm not a whiz with computers, so I could be the problem, but I've learned that if I don't have a problem with how my system is running, there is no need to install these updates. The Dell guy told me the same thing when I called customer service.
    Just my two cents

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Many of the service packs that Microsoft offer address security issues. If you feel your computer is rock solid with virus scans and firewalls, then perhaps you don't need them. If you have a bare bones virus program that you don't update frequently, you are living on borrowed time.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Your problems are why I recommend it be downloaded as the "Network Install". Unfortunately, I just dug around M$'s site to find it, and they don't seem to offer it as a download unless you're using Windows Update. I friggin hate that, I do NOT want to use automatic updates, nor do I recommend most people use it, but M$ is pushing it too hard.

Well anyway, you can order the CD from M$ with the service pack on it, which I'd recommend:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

You can also use Windows Update to download but not install it until you say go, but who knows when it will be ready...

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Just curious Ratch... what's your beef with automatic update?