Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer suggestions/advice?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 90blzr, Jan 24, 2006.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Wow, new look to the forums!! havent been on in a while. Different, but I like it:D

Anyways, I need to get home computer. Tired of being able to only go on at work or run to other peoples house if I HAVE to do something. I know alot of you 'know yur sheeit' when it comes to computers, so I need your help:D

I dont know much about computers or which ones are best. I dont want to spend thousands on one. I dont do gaming, just surfing, email, and other normal things that computer is used for, CD, DVD writer/reader, etc. GF will use it for college, etc. Normal typing up stuff, saving, etc.

I dont want to get one and regret it and wish I would have gotten something better. I want something fast, and easy to use. I dont want to worry about memory, etc. I want a good system that isnt gonna give me problems and last a while without worrying about having enough memory and being SLOW! My moms computer is like that...SLOW...everytime I go over there I dont know how she uses that thing...slow..slow...slow!!

I was talking to a few people and this is kind of what I have found based on suggestions. Let me know if there is something else you would recommend or add. Ask any questions that will help make my decision the right one.

http://www.pcclub.com/product_system_details.cfm?itemno=EN-NI4
    (and add the 17" flat screen monitor) Click on 'build it' for more details.

The second one from the right:
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_dotw_dimen?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

These are just a few that have been suggested. Give me some feedback! I know how to use a computer, but thats about it!! When it comes to what makes what work and what part is better than another, I have no clue!!

Thanks guys!!!

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

A basic rig from Dell will be fine for what you want it for. I would upgrade to a gig of memory.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you can wrench on a truck , then build your own . Its easy . Or at least buy a bare bones unit , and add your own extras .

I do mine every year or so , on a budget . Looking to do mine again this spring as it just doesn't scream enough on paper for bragging rights . Mine is too slow now :D

If you are buying one , try to get one with what you want already in it , as well as expansion slots . Onboard video usually means no video card slot , and that makes a difference with doing stuff with editing DVD's . You don't want sytem memory being used to render video .

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I screwed around for a while with used and building franken-boxes. I was never happy till I picked up the phone and called gateway. Does everything I need and plenty fast on my DSL service. I'm sure Dell could do the same.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If you're going low end, Dell may be the way to go

Otherwise build your own

(you can get shiney lights)

[​IMG]

7. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

thats me as well. Building a comp is easy and I do one about every year or so too. What I do is stay a notch down from the latest cutting edge technology. This will keep the cost down considerably but still enable one helluva machine.

I also log into this site and pick my motherboard that I want to base the machine on. Im a pentium guy so my system is pentium based but i have built AMD sys before too.

Otherwise I would have to go with a Dell if I were to buy one and IMHO i would definately stay away from HP. :D

8. pauly383

Think this spring I finally take the 64 bit plunge , but I am an AMD guy so I will spend less :D

9. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

blahh..blah..blah...

10. pauly383

I know , aren't I an agitator :wink1:

11. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

12. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Just my .o2 from a guy who deals with purchasing lots of computers for a large enterprise:

1. Buy more than you think you need. If you get what you think is just adequate, you will outgrow it almost immediately

2. You get what you pay for. You buy cheap, it peforms cheaply. The name brand companies tend to last better as a general rule.

3. If you build it, then you better be savvy enough to service it when needed. If you have somebody build it, you better trust them and they better be around to help out during problems.

4. No matter what you buy, it is outdated within 3 yrs. or less

5. I'd avoid a laptop unless you absolutely have to have portablilty. They are more expensive, are hard to upgrade, and usually run hotter and don't take the abuse of constant use a desktop can.

Lastly, my take on Dell is this. It used to be Dell always gave you more bang for the buck. If HP sold a desktop at X price, Dell would give you more RAM, better graphics, etc. for that same X money. Dell service was also highly rated. Since Dell enjoyed so much success, their quality has tanked, their customer service sucks, and they are arrogant. At work we had HP for years. They were rock solid and rarely had any problems. Then we switched to Dell because they bid lower for our contract. Now, we are going back to HP. The Dell desktops and servers are failing at a very high rate. When we looked into why, we found that it was Dell's production practices. If you take 5 Dell desktops and open them up, you will find 5 different brand hard drives, memory, graphics cards, etc. Dell simply buys whatever is the low bid for them on internal parts at the time. True, they pass on the savings to the buyer, but the quality may or may not suffer. We open our HP machines and they are the same across the board. Other companies support has also surpassed Dell's at this point.

Now, if you choose a no name brand computer based upon price, then you are going to get the service and performance commensurate with what you paid for.

13. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Sorry man, but thats not at all true. well it is, but were not talking about buying 900 computers for a company.

A good custom built computer, weather you build it or someone else does, will always outperform and, all things equal, will outlast any dell or HP.

14. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I figured that if I could build an engine, than I could sure as hell build a computer. When my old computer crapped out, I just wanted to get a similar one. I looked all over starting with Dell and Gateway. Then I started thinking about building a computer. I started going to computer forums (similar to the K5 forum, just not as cool) and talked with people in the know. Anyway, I ended up building my own. I spent just over $1300. I even went fancy on a few things. If I was going to buy something similar from Dell or Gateway, I would have spent close to $3K. Check out a pic of my rig. Also, check out the computer forum and the place where I buy most of my parts. Good luck.

www.computerforum.com
    www.newegg.com

Computer Picture.JPG

15. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

You will notice that I spoke in general terms. Could many people build a computer that is going to have more bells and whistles than an HP or Dell for cheaper? Absolutely. But, for a person not that familiar with computers to start with, I still believe a name brand is going to be a better way to go. Yes, for one person buying a home computer you might not see the failure rate that buying a couple of thousand computers sees. However, when you buy a couple of thousand computers, you get to see very quickly what their failure rate is as opposed to rolling the dice on that one purchase. I have both built my own, and bought HP's out of the box. I have the resources to keep mine up to snuff. As I said, if you have that, building is fine. For a novice, you may end up pulling your hair out unless you have good friends to help you out. If you have the patience to go and work on your rig, then go inside and deal with the same potential frustration if your computer also gives you headaches, then no problem. I kind of like to scrape my knuckles, cuss and swear, jump up and down and throw things outside but come into a computer that is problem free. Everybody has a different preference.