Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer Vs. Non Computer Distributor for 86 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Jun 19, 2001.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

Has anyone installed a noncomputer distributor for an 86 K5? I have just purchased a non computer HEI Accel Dist. and am about to install it.....I am just wondering what complications I will encounter.

2. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

ummm, only ones I can think of is that your truck will run muich better. that's about it. Computer won't retard timing from the knock sensor but that is it. Have fun and enjoy! Oh, make sure the motor is on TDC, it'll make your life easier.

-BuSH
    I'm a dislectic agnostic. I believe in a higher being, his name is DOG. [​IMG]

3. Chaotical

Chaotical Registered Member

all I can say is Acell "GOOD"
    I had one on my 85 Jimmy and it ran sweet.. I switched over to a Jacobs With the computer.. and it sucks ASS..... spent all that money on something that makes my truck run like $hit....

85 Jimmy 4" Lift, 3" body bought have not installed yet, Dana 44, 14bff,
    37" SSR's Yes they FIT with a 4" lift and don't rub.

4. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Accel good? hah! I dunno about their distributors, but their wires are POS. I rank Accel down there with Jacobs. However I hear that Jacobs can make some plug wires. Their the ones with the ceramimc boots, correct? Me, I'm an MSD man... [​IMG]

-BuSH
    I'm a dislectic agnostic. I believe in a higher being, his name is DOG. [​IMG]

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I'm not running the computer dist anymore. To my knowledge I'm not sure, if you disable the dist to the comp. you need to do away w/ all things related to the comp. Like I said I'm not postitive, but it makes sense because the comp. reads everything going on w/ the motor. If the dist is not sending a signal to the comp the carb doesnt know what to do, ETC. I did away w/ all the comp crap on mine so I dont have that prob. Hell the comp. itself is also gone, on mine! regarding Accel stuff. I'm not to sure but I understand the dist are pretty good. I am also a MSD guy.

PURE INSANITY If ya can't stop,Smile as you go under!
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Hey I pulled your profile and I see your in south Fla., I'm near Tampa. Disabling the computer makes ya glad to be in Fla dont it?!?! [​IMG]

PURE INSANITY If ya can't stop,Smile as you go under!
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

7. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

OK, I got the non computer distributor in and it purrs like a kitten. The only problem is now, from a dead stop or slow roll, I can punch it and it hesitated BIG time. The dist I installed has an adjustable vacuum. I am thinking I need to adjust the vacuum. Any thoughts????

My next project is to remove all the unneeded vacuum hosed and crap from the top of the manifold.

8. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

Mine does the same thing after changing to a non ccc carb, and i've been having dist/coil problems, had to change 2 in the last few monts. anyone else have this hesitation problem and how can i fix it? I think this is what's causing my dist/coil problems

9. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

Mine does the same thing after changing to a non ccc carb, and i've been having dist/coil problems, had to change 2 in the last few monts. anyone else have this hesitation problem and how can i fix it? I think this is what's causing my dist/coil problems. Do i need to unplug the ccc brain thing at the glovebox? or take out my ecm fuse or something?

10. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

anyone?

11. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

Non-Computer controlled

I have a 84 that I put on a nice rebuilt non-ccc 750 q-jet on, and I had a problem with it wanting to die after you would drive it a few blocks. I found out that the ignition system I had was for a cc and since the PO put in a new 350 without the sensors hooked up, the distributors timing was being adjusted by the computer. I put in a non-cc ignition system in, and it runs great.

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you switch from a CCC to a vacuum operated you need the vacuum switch on the intake to change the timing when cold and when taking off.
    I have the same problem because I bypassed all vacuum switches and I have only one vacuum hose.
    :D