Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Computer?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, May 20, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I took my glove box off to repair it, and saw this computer lookin thing[​IMG](see attachment). Is it a computer? What does it do? What happens if I disconnect it? thanks for any help, I have 84 K5 w/a 305 engine.

<font color=green>Money</font color=green>--&gt;Blazer

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Oh my God! That's a transmitter. It transmits every conversation you're having to the FBI. It also transmits your exact location so they know where to find you!!

[​IMG]Just kidding[​IMG]

Yes, that's the computer, if you disconnect it your car will not start, and all the settings will be reset. The computer is also reset everytime you disconnect your battery.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

3. clintsk5

clintsk5 1/2 ton status

Nope!!!!!!!...That's the flux capacitor that powers up your dithereum crystals...it makes time travel possible!!! Dont disconnect it!!!!!!no really it must be for something or it would'nt be there......hehe...sorry had to do it.....~Clint~...77 blazer

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I believe that module contains, the intermittant wiper circuit and cruise control circuitry.....

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

5. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Unplug it and you Will be walking!~!!!!!

350 Vortec TPI D60 14Bolt 4.56 4"lift 35 BFG A/T

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Its for the Distributor. You have a knock sensor distributor. If you follow the wires they go through the fire wall between the ac box and the distributor and plug into the pig tail on the distributor. On the passengerside of the engine will be the sensor I belive the wire leading to it is blue.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

7. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    In 84 the vehicles were not that computer controlled. I'd bet money that you can run the truck with out it. As far as unplugging it, if it is running fine and working properly, leave it alone.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Yea they were as far as the distributor was concerned they had no vacum or mechanical advance just the lettel box and a knok senser.

9. That would be your Electronic Control Module (ECM)An 84 might not have the full blown computer system, but that is back when they were trying to figure out how to moniter everything with EGR, oxygen, knock, speed and a ton of other sensors. Mainly used for the ignition, emissions and diagnostics functions. Some of those had the Electronic Spark Control (ESC) and others had Electronic Spark Timing (EST).

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

10. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

That's the ECM, it's kinda important with the distributor you have. I had no idea that there was one there and I about went nuts trying to find out why I had no spark at all.... Grrrrrrrrrr. Ended up finding one at a junkyard for cheap and all is well now.

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

My cruise control no longer works. Can this "computer" be the problem? If so, where can I get a new one, how much $$$ are they, and is it hard to install?

<font color=green>Money</font color=green>--&gt;Blazer