Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

computers and cars

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryan22re, Sep 15, 2005.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

need to vent. i hate computers in cars. whos bright idea was it to put 18 different modules in new cars? id like to shoot an engineer. preferably an electrical engineer.

so heres the story. 05 gto. check engine light. code for internal ecm failure. simple enough. check power and ground to the module. check ok. order replacement ecm. install ecm. 5 minute job, mounted to the driver's inner fender. two bolts three connectors. easy. just need to program replacement module. simple enough. download engine calibration. done. go to reset theft deterent system (immobiliser 3). no dice. big problems. 6 hours later and 6 phone call to tech asssistance. no dice. tell me its a bad ecm. have to order another ecm. try again tommorrow.

there are three seperate modules that let the vehicle start and run. the body control module, the powertrain interface module and the engine control module.

why so complicated? gto's have three seperate communication networks. i hate progress.

ryan

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh, I don't hate computers so much after learning about them. I am sure the first time I run into that stuff I will, but as of now I love them :D Data logging and all that information and control is a wonderful thing in my eyes.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They suck..

They never should have put computers in automobiles in my opinion..they are troublesome enough in a warm stable climate like a house!..I love my PC for surfing the web--but hate wondering when one will crap out and leave me stranded on a dark deserted road in my vehicle.. :eek1: :(

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

oh and you will. (hate them that is)

on top of the gto, got an 03 denali with a hydro boost valve leaking into the cab, soaked the carpet in ps fluid, and is now blowing the airbag fuse every once in awhile. (maybe related, who knows)

or an 05 yukon 4wd that broke the flywheel, which damaged the end of the crankshaft and locked the pump up in the tranny. cant get a crank for it. too new. wont let me put an engine in it till the cust starts complaining or a crank doesnt show up. did i mention that the first crank i ordered came with surface rust all over the journals and a bent crankshaft position sensor reluctor wheel?

want some real hands on exp. ?

ryan

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Its simple.

#1 module translates australian to american.
    #2 module translates american back to australian.
    #3 module is the forign part interface module that translates spanish, japanese, and other forign lingo to American and Austrailian so the other modules can under stand it..
    Any failure in one of these modules causes one big cluster FCK along with an imobilizing language barrier.

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i think i need to take back all the statements i made on how awesome i think gto's are.

ryan

7. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

It's not just in cars,,

I agree,,computerization is unreliable and over done in alot of things,,

Take what I do for a living,,,Grocery store refrigeration,,
    You would think that keeping stuff cold would be a basic thing by now, being as refrigeration has been around for quite a while,,,

Quite the opposite,,We install computer systems and networks in stores so complex you would think we were going to send groceries to the moon on our own spaceship,,, sensors,transducers I/O boards and logic panels,echelon and 485 networks,modems,satellite,alogarithms are all part of the language we speak when we repair and monitor stores.

Many of the failures we see nowaday's are related to issues with the computers and if there had been mechanical controls ( old school ) instead of a computer there the problems would not have occured. In other words,,

The "computer" IS the problem not the refrigeration system.

Computers should enhace our lives,Not complicate them,,,

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Are you working on it at a dealer as your job , or just working on it as a do it yourselfer ?

I would think its still under warranty being an '05 .

I mean , I am proud to work on my own stuff too , but knowing what they have in these cars we got the extended factory warranty , and the wife's 2003 Impala is going straight to the dealer if its not something simple :D

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

yep i work at a dealer. yep that 05 is under warranty. 22k or so.

i think the auto makers are purposely making cars out of the realm of do-it-yourselfers.

ryan

10. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

going to burn it.

guess what? new ecm didnt work either.

anybody want to bring some marshmallows and hot dogs?

cookout in 2 hrs.

ryan

11. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ryan check your vin then look at this-#PIC3656. You may also have to replace the PIM. Hope this helps. Been there before.

12. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

unfortunately my vin isnt listed in that pi. techline is supposedly gonna call me back. i asked him about that pi, but my security code doesnt start with 0, and was supposedly fixed in the newest update of TIS2000 which i have.

got to make some money today, so gto will go on back burner (maybe litterally.)

ryan

13. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Good luck let us know what you find.