Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Con Artist (Long, long, long, long, story)...did I mention this is long?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 7, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Theres this guy that bought a front differential from me 2 years ago. He paid me cash, but took forever to pick it up. Later on after the axle deal was over, we started to do some trading on stuff, and I traded him out of a car. Deal done, no problems, except it took him a while to get the title.

So, later, he says he is going to set rid of his Blazer, and concentrate on his truck instead. He had an '80 K5, complete and running, but had some rust. He mainly wanted the 205 transfer case out of it. We talked, and agreed that I would trade him out of the Blazer, assuming he could keep the T-case.

So, I figure, rather than take the Blazer apart if it ran and drove, I would give him a 205 and adapter I had at the time. Then I could trade him out of the rest, and get the Blazer complete.

By now, I know his phone numbers and know that he lives in Deer Park, a small town about 15 miles north of where I live. So, I give him the 205 T-case, before even seeing the Blazer. We agreed that he'd just buy the T-case if the Blazer deal didnt work out. I realized the risks, but gave him the T-case ahead of time anyway.

I was so busy and he was so busy at the time, we could never coordinate a time for me to go look at the Blazer. Made me a bit suspicious how he was always busy when I had time. But I remembered how long it took him to pick up the axle he bought from me, so I figured he was just busy. He also said he was looking to hire a couple people for this job he had of building a catwalk in a building at a mining operation. A friend of mine needed work at the time, so I set them up. The jobsite happened to be in Metaline Falls, Wa., which is 10 miles from our property in Ione, Wa. So, since my friend Greg is with him, I let them stay in my campers on our property during the 3 weeks they did the job.

I was a bit leary of setting my friend Greg up with this job, since I hadnt really known the other guy too long. But I felt ok, because it was an official job. They were supposed to get paid partially 1 week after they started. When the week was over, I talked to them both, and appearently, the check didnt arrive. So, I talked with Greg alone one day, and find out that this job was a subcontract, and that Greg was working under the table...meaning no official record with the mining company of the hours he put in. I also found out that Greg had to loan him a bunch of money for food on their first week up there. Now I was getting worried.

I stopped giving the guy parts in trade. A month past after the job was over, and he paid Greg less than $300 of the $1500 in hours he had worked. Every time he was supposed to bring more money, Greg told me he had some sort of excuse. I also found out that he borrowed $100 from my Brother in Ione, promising to pay it back the next day, but never doing so.

By now I realized some of my initial worries were correct. So I kept calling, trying to schedule to look at the Blazer, which I knew by now either he didnt intend on getting rid of or never existed in the first place. Of course, I kept getting excuses. Another 2 weeks passed. I found out he paid my brother back $50 of the $100. But he still owed Greg $1200, my brother $50, and me a Blazer (or a 205 T-case, front bumper, and the other little things I traded to him so far).

I had a SB400 motor in need of a rebuild and a tool box that he wanted as part of the trade. So, I told him, as soon as I could get the Blazer, I'd get him the motor and tool box. (I figured I'd play his game). I even offered to deliver the motor and toolbox to his house personally. Then I could at least know where he lived. And just like I expected, he made more excuses. He quickly disappeared after that. The last time I talked to him, I told him that I either needed to get my parts back, or he could pay me for them (I knew my parts were long gone, and he would never pay me). Never talked with him since.

He also still had Greg's acetylene and oxygen tanks, and a part belonging to another friend of mine.

So, he owes me, my brother and two friends about $2000 overall (in cash or parts).

I saw him once nearing his disappearance from us; driving in town, and followed him out to the Spokane Valley, where he was working at another jobsite. As I was following him, I had Greg call his cell phone, just to keep bugging him about money. I stayed parked near the jobsite, and saw he was welding on some trusses (this was after dark). I wanted to wait and follow him to his house, but I didnt have the time. I ended up going home.

That was last March. I saw his truck driving through town in September, and started to give chase. He stopped at a video store, and I got his lic. plate number while he was inside. He left the parking lot as if he were on his way home. I followed, but got a bit behind in traffic. I was determined to find out where he lived at least. So, were on the highway and I'm speeding to catch up to him. I see a truck ahead, same primer grey, same bumper, and keep my distance, so he doesnt think he's being followed. We get into Deer Park and he turns off into a parking lot...and I look in disgust as I see in the light it wasnt even his truck I was following! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Appearently, he must have been the truck in front of this one, who was no where in sight by now. So, I had to turn around and go home...but at least I had his Lic#.

Ironically, I've seen him driving in town 3 more times since then...but each time I was either towing something or on my way to do something important.

It's only a matter of time till I see him again.

Now, if anyone managed to read any of that, anyone have any good ideas? I know we dont have proof of any dealings in writing, just witnesses. And I know my parts are either gone or sold by now, and he got paid for the job and never intends to pay my friend Greg the $1200.

So, are there any legal ways to catch him? (probably not).

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Wow that sux. Did you do paperwork when you made the trades? If so you could use that against him. If you have a friend that's a cop you could have him run the plates and tell you where the guy lives.

3. mountainexplorer

Unfortunately, no paperwork. That was my fault. I figured the other two deals worked out, so this one should, too. I was wrong. Based on all the tracking and research we've done so far, we can only get a P.O. box #. Even before he knew I was onto him, I tried to talk about things that would tell me more closely the exact area he lived in. I know his location vicinity based on what he said (his phone # prefix verifies the certain area he has to be in). It's just too large of an area to search, if he hasnt moved by now.

He also has a business licence, and we do know the business name. Based on that, we found out he has a legal business partner, and he is listed (number and address) in the phone book. I have some info like this, just havent had the time to do more researching.

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'd say yer kinda screwed, bud... Unless you have emails saved or something like that...

Ya gotta cover your ass when you're dealing with strangers... The guy I sent money to for my lift kit was being a bit suspicious, but eventually sent the kit... I saved every single email, check copy, bank statement, private message, and even kept track of how much I spent on stamps for the two checks...

I don't do a whole lot of buying and selling online, but if I do, I don't delete ANYTHING until about a week after the deal is done... Can't be too careful...

Watch People's Court for a while... Not only is ms. Milian (however you spell it)a really cool judge, but you can learn all about basic contracts and just how screwed you can be if you aren't anal about keeping records of stuff...

Also, if you DO have ANYTHING that states the final deal, and you want to sue him for the parts or the value of the parts, you can let the good ol' US Court system find the guy...

5. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well allan if you have anybody that whitnessed the intial deal that isnt related to you then you should be able to prove he is in breach of verbal contract and you could take him to court. Somethin you might try is simply threaten him whith this and he may give you what you whant. Ill talk to my scout master about this and see if he could run the plates. Ill call to get it from ya next time i see him.

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

My friend lives in Deer Park (just moved there during the summer from Priest River).... what does this guy look like and what does he drive, like a good description. Her husband it a grease monkey and if this dude has any thing cool on wheels her hubby might have seen it. Worth a shot!?

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds like someone needs an ass whooping /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mountainexplorer

Heres a picture of his truck. It still looks the same...brown front fenders and primered bed and doors. He supposedly lives just north of Deer Park.

He's about 35 years old, maybe 5'7"-5'9", average build, black, and owns "Storm Steel", which is his welding/construction business.

I know I can't get back anything of mine, but I'm more concerned with my friend. There were witnesses that saw him every day at the job site.

But I think we dont have any hope of getting anything back. 1st of all, lack of written proof, and second of all, I've waited too long to act on this. I just don't want anyone else to get ripped off.

I have to admit, he's smart. I looked back over everything he did, and some of it was pretty clever. I'm an easy going person, so some may think its easy to take advantage of me...probably true. I played "dumb" for a while there, even after I knew what he was up to, and I kept catching all his lies. I wanted to match wits, but never got a chance to (he stayed away after he found out I knew what he was up to). I may not be the smartest person or the sneakiest, but I have my ways to catch someone in their own lie.

Oh, and his wife's car I believe is a late 80's/early 90's Toyota sedan...either light blue or maroon, I think maroon/dark red.

The K5 Blazer was an '80, and red and white, with ralley wheels and the rectangular headlights, according to the pictures he showed me of it. Of course, he could have taken some pictures of any Blazer and shown them to me.

He also supposedly has a '69-'72 Chevy shortbed 4x4 that he is working on. I know he was collecting parts for it.

And I just remembered another thing he has of mine... a 12-bolt rear with 3.73's. Its probably under his truck along with my 205 T-case, or sold by now.

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Next time you happen to run across him driving by, call in sick at work and take the time/day to follow him around.

If you have his license number, call it in or ask one of the po-po's on this site to trace the tag info. Ask one of these men if they can do a background check. Chances are, he may be wanted or in trouble with more than you think.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, you have 3 people that are owed something and haven't recieved it - I.E. witnesses/victims. Granted, to a court it could look like you three are ganging up on him.

You should try to aproach him if you see him in town. Just pull up next to him and tell him you're in a tight spot and need the money or a way to contact him ASAP. Of course, the risk with that is he may avoid going through your town again, and you lose the shot at tracking him to his place...
    If nothing else, though, you should definately trace his plates and get as much info from that as you can...

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'll tell my friend to tell her hubby to look out for him. Like I said worth a shot.

12. mountainexplorer

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    He also has a business licence, and we do know the business name. Based on that, we found out he has a legal business partner, and he is listed (number and address) in the phone book.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Allan,
    Bottom line, he has a business liscense, and has to pay taxes, and if your buddies threaten to go to the IRS and ALSO the Department of Labor and Industries ( i hate them ) and make " under the table pay " reports he will get nervous. And contact his partner and inform him, he may be SCUM also, but he wont want to go down with the ship /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Second:
    Post his numbers and we will make some calls of the same idea, Sitting at the hospitol for 20 hours a day I have the time to annoy the **** out of him /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Third:
    I will call saying those parts were a third party trade and that I am waiting for my goods, and my brothers of CK-5 will help me and you collect, being under so much stress lately i need to get it out, his melon may be my outlet /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif