Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Con-Ferr Axle Trusses

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Mar 23, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Does anybody run these? i was thinkin of gettin one for my front and maybe my rear axles
    BTW: im runnin 10 bolts front and rear on an 89 k5
    Thanks

2. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

From what I've heard they are pretty much just a waste of money. Look pretty and shine up nice on a show truck, but not much function offroad. Not tough enough to stand up to anything.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Don't bother. It will just take away all your ground clearence. I think Steve Frisbie (Missouri Offroad) makes over the axle trusses if you really want a truss. I am not sure why you'd want to truss a 10 bolt, you could spend the money on a stronger rearend. Trussing an axle is usually for jumping it, or hitting it on things real hard, and even with a truss a 10 bolt won't last long under conditions like those.

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I bought a used one for my front 10b... looks good to me and I am happy with how it'll look and work when I swap in the other 10b....

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

alrighty then, i think i will save money for new axles
    Thanks

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I run one on my 89 K5.....mainly because I don't want a D60....it was like $85 from Rocky Mountain a few years ago.....its' unobtrusive in the mud.....

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

SF make a trick truss for a D60 front?

I'll be running a ff14b out back.... and since I dont jump it off cliffs, it'll be ok... but the front prolly takes the biggest pounding so maybe a lil trussing there would be a good thing....

J

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

He could probably make something custom for you. I don't think he produces them. From everything I've heard about his work it is top quality, so if he custom built you a truss for your D60 I bet it would be sweet.

9. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I am still trying to find a good way to go over the top on the front axles. There are a lot of clearance issues. I have found a way to truss them under the bottom without losing clearance at the diff. Just an FYI

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I dunno, maybe the only way to do it is to have it custom done... see it in mags all the time, basically just big gussets wedled on.

J

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well the only thing i was thinking about these was because my dad says i REALLY need one for the front, so im going to get one for the front, and they are cheap and i dont really want to spend 300 bucks on something for a 10 bolt,
    But thanks for the answers

12. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I am running conn-ferr super skids front and rear with a custom over the top truss for my 12 bolt rear (thanx Steve Frisbee!) The conn-ferr held my front 10 bolt straight for as much as 10 feet of air! I snapped (and exploded) a 10 bolt rear and snapped another 12 bolt rear that had no trusses and the front end was fine. Now with my 2 trusses on the rear axle I'm back to worrying about the front. If your truck is going to see ANY air time get trusses front and rear, they have saved my ass many a times. The ones with a skid plate are about $125 and without the skid plate about $80 each and worth every penny.