Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Concealed Carry guns?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Aug 4, 2004.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've got about $600 to spend and am looking into good reliable .40 or .45 concealed carry handguns. I've been eying the springfield or kimber 1911, and some of the Kel-Tec guns. I need something that I can hide on my body, and I'm a skinny tall guy. Yeah, I know, over and under shotgun! LOL...anyone have any ideas? I'm going to go shoot some at the local range in a couple weekends to get a feel for them.

In large frame guns, I'm quite proficient with a Colt Python, but it's a little big for this task. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My dad likes to carry a Smith & westin .45 Stainless steel revolver. Not sure what he paid for in but it is mean looking and it seem easy to hide. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A friend has a Hi Point .40 , feels alittle loose to me. I like Ruger.

4. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

H&K USP Compact .40 is what we use here at work for concealed duty. Haven't heard anything bad about it. I think it's pretty close to the price you're looking for too but don't quote me on that.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My dad likes to carry a Smith & westin .45 Stainless steel revolver. Not sure what he paid for in but it is mean looking and it seem easy to hide. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Smith & Westin makes a good gun. Fugers and Dolts are nice too, and I have a real nice Slemingdon too. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

If I could actually get a concealed carry permit in CA, I'd probably go with a Sig 226. They're kind of hard to find, but they're super reliable and pretty lightweight.

6. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah it's a good gun I have seen him shoot a running chicken more then once from a distance. One time he got a headshot. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gifI call that luck but of course he doesn't. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    H&K USP Compact .40 is what we use here at work for concealed duty. Haven't heard anything bad about it. I think it's pretty close to the price you're looking for too but don't quote me on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif compact HK USP 40 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif You can still get 13rounds in the high cap mag, its pretty small, yet heavy enough you wont forget about it. Solid reliable gun, I almost bought a used stainless compact 40 for $550 the other night, they usually run about $800 new. All the Kimbers I have seen, even used, are $800-1200. I'd love to have a Kimber Ultra carry in black with black grips but if I'm dropping that kind of cash I'll get another HK /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

edit add- Just dont get a glock... or a non-exposed hammer firearm. It's much more threatening to pull the hammer back (even if the safty is still on /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif).

on the HK's looks for a VAR1 USP40, if your going to carry it I'd say get the black with dual tone nightsites. If you end up with a stainless 40, spend a couple bucks and have the slide polished. The only thing I dont like about the stainless slides are they show marks from carrying, esp from the retention holsters. If you have it polished its like chrome and doesn't mar as easy (plus it looks cool).

8. bowtiebstrd

bowtiebstrd Registered Member

glock 23 or 27 all the way!!!! both .40 S&W. get a set of night sights on there, and call it good.

9. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

H&K USP Compact. I have the full size one and as soon as I get a concealed permit Im getting a compact. I have a friend who always thought Glock was the best then he shot my H&K. Now he wants one bad.

Nick

PS Navy seals yous the USP

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Springfield 1911 .45 milspec. Around $450.

I have one and it is awesome.

You could spec the rest of the $150 to have good nightsights put on and buy some wilson 47d magazines.

11. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

edit add- Just dont get a glock... or a non-exposed hammer firearm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got to disagree. In a concealed carry weapon, a hammerless revolver or semi-auto leaves less chance for it to get snagged on your clothes or holster.

12. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    H&K USP Compact. I have the full size one and as soon as I get a concealed permit Im getting a compact. I have a friend who always thought Glock was the best then he shot my H&K. Now he wants one bad.

Nick

PS Navy seals yous the USP

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup same here, my buddy had a Glock for years and swore by it, I put my HK in front of him a couple times and he dropped his glock cheap and traded for a compact 40 USP, he now has a compact 9 and fullsize 45 also! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

edit add- Just dont get a glock... or a non-exposed hammer firearm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got to disagree. In a concealed carry weapon, a hammerless revolver or semi-auto leaves less chance for it to get snagged on your clothes or holster.

[/ QUOTE ]

VAR1 for the compacts... BOBBED HAMMER, wont get snagged on stuff... also has decock and lock functions /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

14. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Got a Glock 9MM- Great weapon

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred

15. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

First choice...
    Kimber... look for a compact model and get a set of Chip McCormick slim line smooth grips...
    I love mine to death.... shoots like a dream and well worth every penny...
    Can't beat the small slab-sides for conceal carry...
    Don't trust many other guns out there...

My second choice... Springfield-armory XD-40..
    A bit bulky, but soooooo easy to shoot. Better than a glock in my opinion....
    Here's the links...
    Springfield armory XD : http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-service.shtml

Kimber Ultra-Carry.. (sweet !!!!!)
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/ultra.php

And for .45 parts.. like the slim line grips... go to this link:http://www.chipmccormickcorp.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CMC&Product_Code=83011

16. bowtiebstrd

bowtiebstrd Registered Member

make sure you test shoot whatever you can get your hands on. the 1911's, USP's, whatever's don't fit my hand right because of the grip angle. took me about 4 different pistols to figure that out before i finally got my hands on a glock. the glock was so natural it was unreal! i've own 3 different glocks, never had any problems out of any of them. unfortunately, that isn't the case for some "high dollar, high opinion" ones i've owned -- Sig P226. plenty accurate but had a nice little tendency to stovepipe. did a little work to it, and it turned out fine. but paying that much i shouldn't have had to do anything to it.

HTH and good luck

17. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I've carried several large and small handguns the ones I liked best are my ruger 22, it looks like a a small squirt gun, but it hold 10 long rifle rounds, plus it's so small it fits in my back pocket. I also like carrying my .45 taurus, it looks just like a 1911, but isn't as heavy, and it's very reliable double action makes a good carry gun. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif let us know what you get /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

1911 is a nice gun, low cap but high power, if you can get a really reliable one, it's a nice carry. The slimness of it helps a lot. I carried a Commander for over a year.

I just got a Ruger P89, I love it to death, you can get it in .40 and .45 too in slightly different models, Ruger does not make crap

I know a lot of people like Sig and H&K, never had one myself

I also had a Taurus M44 revolver a while back, great gun

The Hi Point Z3PR mentioned is a CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP gun in cost, like $110 cheap, and though it's ugly as sin, and really really ugly, along with being ugly, it does ok. I'd never carry one but it could be a fun plinker weapon

19. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Glock 23 with night sights. All concealed carry weapons should have night sights if at all possible. Most situations were you need the weapon is a night.

A few other good choices are Kimber Custom in the Comander size. Full 7 round mags & shorter barrel. Springfield loaded Commander size.

There are other stuff that will work and is good stuff too. I am not a huge S&W fan but they work and if you like it then that would be a good choice too. Beretta 96 (a little over your set price). Ruger isn't a bad gun either. It is the cheapest pistol I would ever trust my life too. I wouldn't buy one unless I couldn't afford anything better.

A wheel gun isn't a bad choice either. S&W .357 mag, .41 mag, .38, .44, and even the .32 H&R mag. All good pieces. Ruger wheel guns are good too. Not quite as refined as the S&W but they work.

Harley

20. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

My choice is a Colt commander and I use a Milt Sparks summer special 2 holster.