Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

concealed carry

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by got_mud, Oct 7, 2003.

1. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

the crackhead state i live in is going to consider concealed carry in next years legislation and i was wondering what everyones thoughts about it were. i'll keep my opinion to myself for now, but i am very interested in what you guys and gals think.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Concealed carry is our right.......

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Concealed carry is our right.......

[/ QUOTE ]Damn Right! The only problem with these laws is the political motivations behind them.thet are trying the same thing in ohio,will never make it past the Governor though......

4. stuper

stuper Registered Member

i live where alot of animals like to live, where we have large populations of unwanted, in the country with a lacking police force, and where car theft and break ins are running rampent. so i'm all for it and i do it often.

theo/stuper

www.packing.org check it out all the gun info on ccw u could use. if u need more sites let me know

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I really hate the fact that we have to apply for the right to carry a concealed weapon. I believe it is just another form of revenue generation.

That being said, I wish more of us carried firearms.

If you feel comfortable carying a handgun, DO IT. Make sure you practice so that you are able to bring the scumbags down with one shot and above all, be safe.

Don't forget, November 19 is Ammo Day.

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Missouri legislator just passed there concealed carry by overruling the govenor who vetoed the bill and the vote of the people that voted not to pass the bill. It takes affect on the 11th of Oct.. I feel it was a a right we started with when we started this country long ago, why we ever gave it up I don't know but I'm glad we are getting back to it. Criminals will think twice before robbing or raping from now on and if they decide to do it hopefully the poor woman will have a gun and kill him instead of letting the system give him parole or letting him go cause a cop didn't fill out the paperwork right. Giving him the chance to do it agian to another person. I can't wait for Kansas to step up and give us the right to conceald carry.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Concealed carry is every American's right. Statistics show that counties and states with "shall issue" concealed carry laws have lower violent crime rates, but tend to have higher property crime rates. I'd rather my house get robbed when I'm not there than have a violent crime commited against me or mine, so I'm all for concealed carry. See "More Guns, Less Crime" by John Lott for more information on this.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In Illinois, it's illegal. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I hope that changes one day so I can carry too.

Hmm...doing some reading, it says that you are allowed to possess a firearm in your, "Fixed place of business".

Does this mean it'd be legal to carry a weapon at work, as long as it was legally transported to work with you?

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you have any doubts as to whether packin heat is good for society or not, check out one of the many books written by Gary Kleck. Hes a criminologist over at FSU. He's a self-professed gun hater... says he wishes that they had never been invented... BUT hes a scientist and his extensive research into the subject proves how law abiding citizens owning and carrying guns lowers crime and saves lives.

Ive have had a concealed carry permit since I got out of the Marines. When Im not headed to a school or into oregon, I can carry my Glock 17 in the sweet leather shoulder rig I got... never know when u might need it. so many psychos, theives, muggers, terrorists and other lowlifes in this world that I'd rather have it with me than at home locked in a safe with no ammo like HCI thinks it should be... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

j

10. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its not so much being able to carry a gun that worries me is all the other laws that say when you can and cannot use it legally.In Ohio if someone kicks your door down and enters your home and you blast them you better hope they are armed with a weapon! if not it is your ass on the line.Its like ok you are to ask them after they come in if they mean any harm to you then figure out your next move.Wrong!If you kick my door down and come in as far as I see you have bad intentions and will pay the price from Mr.Ruger.It seems like anymore the laws protect the Criminals and not everyone else!

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

...this is why u always keep an old unregistered handgun with filed off serials in your house...

j

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

In my state (Nevada) its pretty easy to get a CC permit. Apply at the local PD, have a clean record, and take a class so you know your rights and laws reguarding useing firearms in self defence. Lots of people carry guns.
    I do. But I prefer to wear mine outside my pants for all the world to fear.
    An armed socity is a polite socity. There is very little violent crime/armed robberies ect. ect. where I live.

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have a CARRY permit, no need to conceal! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif You Asked... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I always felt it necessary to carry a gun, but never lived in a state where it was legal until I moved to Indiana. In Indiana, ask for a carry permit and you get one. Period. (Convicted felons aside...) You can carry a loaded handgun of any size concealed or out in the open, in your car, around your neck on a chain if you want. There is no waiting period. After I decided which gun to purchase, it took less than 20 minutes to pay for it and get it out of the building. No permit is required to purchase or own, only to carry.

I carry a .45 auto with a 3" barrel in a very good holster in my waistband on my right hip, just around the back a bit so it is not obvious as you face me yet it is easy to reach. Some people are uncomfortable when they see you with a gun so as a general rule I try to keep it concealed by keeping my shirt untucked over it, but if it shows I don't get too worried about it. I have a permit, it's 100% legal, and if people don't like it they can kiss my /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.

My gun is designed to carry, so it's a bit small for target practice and such, but light and easy to pack. I can hit a 3" circle at 25 yards just about as fast as I can pull the trigger, which is good enough for self defense. A heavier gun with a longer barrel would probably be more accurate, but a lot more cumbersome to carry daily.

I'll never live in another state where I cannot carry. In fact, I can be a bit extreme /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif in that I feel that it is really everyone's responsibility to carry their own weapon these days. The Police simply can't be everywhere and they are badly outnumbered by Bad Guys. If you don't defend yourself you shouldn't criticize anyone else for not being able to defend you if something bad happens to you.

Imagine if the Bad Guys knew that every single person they meet is armed, every home they rob might have several guns pointed at the door, and every car they try to jack is ready to fire at will. In Indiana the law seems to favor armed self-defense though, and as long as there is some obvious reason for you to shoot someone you will probably be backed by the law. Carjackers and Burglars are fair game.

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Some counterpoints though. If you know you don't have the capacity to kill another person you shouldn't carry a gun. It will get taken away from you. You should never draw your gun unless you fully intend to shoot someone with it, and you should never shoot someone with it unless you fully intend to kill them.

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Safety... You have to decide for yourself how to store your guns and handle them in your home, especially if you have children in the house. I personally (to each his own here, not bashing anyone) teach my kids that guns are absolutely not toys and they do not have any toy guns or cap guns. When my gun is not on my side it is in the safe which is far out of reach of the kids. At night it is in the safe that I can access quickly if I need to, but in the unlikely even that the kids might get curious and try to get into it while I'm asleep they would have to climb over me in the bed to even get to the safe, let alone open it. You can get gunsafes that are designed to be easy to open in the dark which use a keypad combination. I think these are great but am personally too paranoid that my kids might randomly hit the right combination. My son once dialed all the right buttons to call 911 when I was letting him play with my phone. He was less than 2 years old. It took 5 keys to dial 911. 'Unlock', '911', and 'Send'. If he could get all that at random, he could just as easily punch in a 4-digit gunsafe code. It's incredibly unlikely though so if you're not as paranoid as me /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif it's a good consideration.

I have a Milt Sparks holster that is one of the highest quality things I have ever purchased. There was a 14 week waiting list when I bought mine, and it was worth it. It fits my gun like a glove and it would be impossible for the gun to misfire while in the holster, even if you threw it on the ground. The holster won't allow the safety to move at all, and you cannot access the trigger. The holster is stiff enough that it doesn't collapse under the pressure from your belt when you remove the gun, making it easy to reinsert the gun if you would happen to draw it and not need to fire it.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Someone already mentioned practicing with your gun. I would recommend not only firing it at a range, but practicing your draw as well as putting the gun away. Each time I put my gun on (every day) I draw it from the holster, empty it, load it, chamber it, (Carrying 'Cocked and Locked' is a whole other issue and depends greatly on the gun you chooose... again, to each his/her own...) and make sure the safety is on. The point of all this is to make me comfortable and capable of handling the gun so that if I'm in a bad situation, handling the gun is natural and I'm not fumbling around with it.

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Another good point already made is that it can be a real pain to keep track of where you can and can't legally carry the gun. Some people will try to make you believe that it's illegal to carry here and there when in fact it isn't. Your local ordinances spell out where it is and isn't cool, and anyone else is just trying to impose their will on you. You can put up a sign that says "No Guns Allowed" and that doesn't make it law. You could put up a sign that said "No CK5 Guys Allowed" and that wouldn't make it law either. As a general rule I make sure I don't pack into any governement office because I know for sure it is illegal and also my weapon could be confiscated. Anywhere else I just go ahead and carry and figure they can sue me if they really want to make a stink about it.

When I started carrying I thought people would be really freaked out if they saw my gun, but I find that few people are really uncomfortable with it. At least few show any obvious discomfort or say anything about it. Maybe that's a local thing, I don't know. A couple of weeks ago I went to the doctor and ended up getting a shot that I hadn't anticipated. When the nurse came back into the room to give the shot, she told me to drop trow. I stood up and got ready to undo my belt and realized that I would need to lay my gun down without my belt to support it. So now she's watching me and waiting for me to drop trow and I'm standing there with a dumb look on my face... I didn't want to just draw the damn thing and scare the hell out of her, but I wasn't sure what to say either. So I finally said, "I don't want this to freak you out, but I carry a sidearm and should lay it on the table since I have to undo my belt." She thought for a second and said, "OK." I put it on the table next to me and she didn't seem to give it a second thought. I guess if she gives lots of shots she probably sees who's carrying and who isn't more than the average person.

So this is becoming a novel now but it's something I feel strongly about and wanted to give my $0.02, er $9.99 worth.

In summary, I'd be glad to see another honest citizen arm him/herself. The Bad Guys aren't signing up for permits and they're not paying taxes on the guns they buy... I agree that we shouldn't even have to get a permit, but at this stage in the game I'm willing to do it if it means I can exercise the right to defend myself and my family without any problems with the law. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

Paul the Novelist

15. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a CARRY permit, no need to conceal! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... although the thing that worries me about carrying unconcealed is the possibility that someone could come up behind me and draw my own weapon on me. With my shirt over it few people even know it's there, and if they did try to get ahold of it I could probably fight them off. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

On the flip side, with my shirt over it, it takes longer for me to draw it should it become necessary. With it out in the open, it is much easier for its owner to use for its intended purpose, self defense.

Am I arguing with me now???

Paul

16. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the crackhead state i live in is going to consider concealed carry in next years legislation and i was wondering what everyones thoughts about it were. i'll keep my opinion to myself for now, but i am very interested in what you guys and gals think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out

http://www.packing.org/

for more info. It is an 'unofficial' site, so you should check anything you read there against your local laws to make sure it's accurate, but the site is a great source of general info on carrying across the entire USA.

Paul

17. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

paul- i truly appreciate your response(s) and will likely be citing them, not verbatim, mind you, when i write my letter to the governor.
    what is troubling to me is that the proposition as it reads now will be shot down. apparently the governor intends to only allow retired law enforcement to carry a concealed weapon. the idiocity of the restriction to the proposal is mind numbing. i have discussed this issue with many officers in different departments and even an FBI agent. nearly all of them carry 24/7 and they professed to have no intention of changing. as it reads right now, the law prohibits the act of concealed carry by all persons in this state. the FBI agent i spoke with said she is under directive to carry at all times and is required to carry concealed. when i asked about state and local ordinances against cc, she explained the federal overrides state provisions and some other stuff that i should have been paying attention to instead of ogling her. she would have been 'just another HOT chick' up until the point that she bent over to pick up her credit card and i leaned around the gas pump to catch a glimpse of her nice butt and her blouse came up a little and revealed the trimmings of an elegant thong and a short frame glock in a spread paddle back holster. best part was she new i was looking. but i digress... where was i? ah, yes... the retired and active LEO that i spoke with had the same general response, we do what we need to do to keep ourselves safe. at some point the lawmakers here may get their heads out of their exit ports, it just seems like they don't care to be progressive when it comes to allowing citizens to protect themselves.

18. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

There are a lot of excellent points on this post.. 350350 for one pretty much hit it right on the nail head..
    Living in the Great state of Texas, I too, have my concealed handgun license.. I have been raised around guns, rifles, pistols my whole life and I was taught at an early age never to handle them incorrectly.. never to aim it at something I don't intend to shoot, alway's treat a gun as if it's loaded, and never hand someone a pistol that you haven't cleared yourself..

Okay with that said, I believe it should be everyone's right to carry concealed. I also believe in the background check.. as anyone with a domestic violence charges or someone who has an extensive criminal record DO NOT have a right to own a firearm.. but they can get gun's illegally, through improper channels.
    As I have read in Combat Handgun's magazine, there was an article by Massad Ayoob, who said.. (now this is a quote from someone else) by Massad..
    "An armed societey, is a polite society"..
    I wholeheartedly believe this.

Look at England and Australia... they had a "Mandatory" gun turn in program.. they believed that if everyone turned in their weapons, crime would drop.. figuring no one owns' them, how can they use them ? Wrong !!!!
    As soon as people turned in their weapons.. criminals knowing that just about everyone was DISARMED !!!!, They could just force their way into homes at force and know they won't be confronted by a armed homeowner..
    There are many articles about this on the web, I just believe we fought for the right to keep and bear arms.. and our right shall not be infringed upon.. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My concealed carry weapon:
    Kimber compact Aluminum, .45 cal, officers model, with Chip McCormick slim line smooth wooden grips. Wouldn't trade this gun for the world !!!

19. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Missouri just passed this and yes I will go get a permit... All it does is give the good guys a right to carry! The bad guys do it no matter what and it makes them think twice...who has one? Grandma?..maybe /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Kimber compact Aluminum, .45 cal, officers model, with Chip McCormick slim line smooth wooden grips. Wouldn't trade this gun for the world !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I told some people once that if I were naked and starving I wouldn't trade my gun for food or clothing... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I carry a Kimber .45 ACP 1911 Model Stainless Ultra Carry II. I Love It. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Paul