Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

concerned about perf. of 502.wwyd?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roostr3269, Jul 6, 2003.

1. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Well, I went to a 4th of july festival this local small town holds every year where they have mud drags. I thought i would go over and just watch. When i get there I see a buddy of mine whos entered the race in the 44 street class. I thought it would pretty much be professional 1500 horse machines running so I never even thought about entering until I talk to my friend. So I go get weighed in and qualify for the 44 street class. Now I am running a 502 Ram Jet, 350(no stahl)/205 40" Boggers w/ 4.56 gears. I am air locked up front but never used this day. I run the pit in 4 lo. When i hit 3rd gear she just bogs down like I am in a 4' pit of clay. Now mind you, this pit is set up for speed, as it is a timed mud drag, so the pit is only 2-3' deep at the most in spots. Where do u think my truck is ailing. I've been told i should have went 5.13's but with the torque I am pushing I really didnt think I needed it. I finished 4th out of 7 trucks. I am seriously considering having it dynoed somewhere to see the actual rwhp I am running. I want to make this truck competitive in these types of events but still street worthy, what do u guys think?

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I would have locked the front. There were some ideas here awhile back about 'tricks of the trade' One suggestion was a used conveyor belt that acted like a slider under the rig to keep the pumpkins from being boat anchors.

What did your buddy say the problem looked like? Might try leaving it in 4 Hi too?

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

3rd seems like your kinda trying to push a little hard, try leaving it in 2nd and see what happens.

4. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    [ QUOTE ]
    3rd seems like your kinda trying to push a little hard, try leaving it in 2nd and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, unless your crossing the the pu at 40mph, keep your rev's up and stay in 2nd.

5. roostr3269

Well today they had the distance competition, so i thought I would try it again. What a mistake! I ran in the 40 street class, which was the 2nd to last class to run today, so the pit was pretty tore up when i got to run. I decided to run it only to 2nd gear in 4 lo, only I had the same result but this time in 2nd gear. I came off the line strong and i heard it hit 2nd and blah, like it fell flat on its face, you wanna talk about total disappointment, lol. The mud flap hangin from the front seemeed like it worked pretty good for whoever did it, I just might have to try that. I've been told by a lot of guys I will have that problem w/ the front end being so heavy, wanting to dive deeper into the goo. I was also told maybe a change in cam might be another thing to check, I think it runs a 234/242 duration, just not real knowledgeable about cams and how they work. Well I guess its back to the drawin board, thanx for all the input.

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Heres a question, whn you say it goes blah, does the engine fall flat on its face or does the truck just spin the tires like a mutha? if the engine falls on its face take it to GM and get the injection system checked out(it is a ram jet right?). Cause really with 500 hp, the engine shouldnt fal flat at all with 40' and 4.56's in low range.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Some of the mudding experts may know better, but any chance the speed at which you started to "stall" just happened to coincide with the shifts?

You would think that given the same conditions, if the front end pushing mud is the problem, speed is more a factor than anything else. I'd assume the mud would flow, so at slow speed the mud would flow under the axle, but at a certain higher speed, you just end up pushing mud up in front of the axle, causing a bulldozer like effect. I'd imagine that is similar to driving in 6" of snow, then hitting 12"...it just piles up in front of the truck until the tires lose traction and you start to spin.

8. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

I running a Ramjet 502 also and have ran in to a few problems to /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif what sizes of fuel line and fuel pump are you running /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif The Ramjet has a rev. limiter are you revving high enough to hit it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif (I think it's 5800rpm) have you put an O2 kit on form AZSM /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Let me know!

9. roostr3269

The engine bogs right down w/ no tire spin, like it aint got the kahonies to get the job done, which shouldnt be the case. Yeah, as far as taking it to GM, shes out of warranty so it will have to wait till I can save my pennies to take her in. The plow effect can be the culprit too, but its acting like the engine is hitting a dead spot and just dropped one of its nutes. The O2 sensor is something I would like some more info on, please pm me or reply w/ some names and #'s, thanx again for all the input.

10. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

Sent you a PM with a link give them a call and see if they can help /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

How does it perform on the street? Also what RPM are you shifting at. In the mud you need to keep your wheels spinning as fast as you can. You could try holding the shifts a little later.

12. Drewminator

Drewminator Registered Member

I'm just throwing one out here as it sounds like you have a lot of help from others that know far more than i do........but, you said your not running a stall converter. Does not running a stall converter make it lock up right when it shifts ? If that 502 is set up to make hp at a higher rpm would a 2500 stall or even higher help it out by slipping until it gets back up to where it makes more hp when it shifts ? Just a guess - sorry if I'm way off base. Does anyone knowing more about this know if I could be on to something ?

Just my 2 cents - which are worth less than that.

13. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone knowing more about this know if I could be on to something ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know more but you could be on to something /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I have a 4 speed and that is when it runs it's worst is when I shift gears under heavy load /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

14. roostr3269

Thanx toy4fun, got it. I noticed the day of the distance runs when going from 1st to 2nd I was at around 3800 rpm which should be plenty to keep the big beast moving, but i dont know anymore. Let me throw this out there that I just read today. I just got my new issue of offroad adventures (4wheelpartswholesalers put it out.) And in the section where the readers write in and ask questions the editor responds to the guy saying if hes running 38" tires he should be running 5.13 gears. I could have swore I read an article in one of the bigger magazines that you should run 4.56 gears for 39" tires. I am sure 5.13 gears would help but do u guys think that could be part of the problem? Thanx again guys.

15. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

are you saying you shifted at 3800? if so then thats your problem. is the cam in your motor set up for a stall converter. probably so. If I had to guess some stall would help

16. roostr3269

The motor is actually a marine motor or for pre emission vehicles. You could be right but it still blows me away that even at 3800 rpm it still falls on its face.