Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

???? concerning Auto Hubs D44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bee32, Jun 6, 2003.

1. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine's D44 front axle aint locking in. He wants to convert it to manual hubs. Does anyone know what all needs to be done? I have always run manuals so this is new. Is it just installing the manual Hubs or is there something that needs to be done with the Vacume lines running in there? Thanks fer the help? I do appreciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    I did a search and came up blank. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Vacuum lines? What vehicle is this on? GM didn't use vacuum lines on a Dana 44 that I can think of. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Sorry about that. Yeah it threw me too. It's a 90 Ramcharger. Don't stone me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif He said those guys over there counldn't help him so I said I would ask here since obviously this is where the most knowledge is. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Wow is that some puckerin or what?

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That new might be a central disconnect. There is collar on the the long side axle shaft that a vacuum pot operates. Basicly when you unlock the axle shafts still spin but no power because it free spins the Diff. No decent way to put a set of locking hubs on like a K5 has. I have heard that there is a Cable operated conversion available for these. That would probably be the cheapest route. Check the Jeep sites because it's a very simular if not Identical set up. The parts might be interchangable.

5. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

I tried to tell him to get rid of it and get a real Blazer. But it is nice I gotta admit. I wouldn't own it but he really likes it. I'll tell him about that. I had heard of it before but had fergotten until you mentioned it. Thanks!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

They are decent truck and the fact that they have solid axles I think it will be the next major 4x4 for using to make crawlers. Now that they are getting older you will start seing these getting bobbed and flat beds. Stuff should start becoming available.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

8. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

True there. I have always liked them. I think it was more of the body style than anything. I have seen alot out wheelin and besides the typical stuff I have not heard anything bad besides the price of parts. Mopar or is it Momoney? Don't get me wrong, I like some of there stuff but would never own one due to the price of it all. They just can't compete with Chevy on pricing. Not to mention I am a Blazaholic. My wife is drivin nutz about how much I love my Blazer. She just walks away now until the money issue comes around and then that's where she starts talking /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

9. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Thanks I will pass that along to him. He is kinda swimmin in the fact that yall know so much about all this stuff. Thanks again.